• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what isolated solder iron do you recomend?

Dave239

Feb 15, 2016
Birlington, Ontario, Canada
I used to use a regular 35 watt iron but now I'm getting back in to the tinkering hobby, I realize I should be using an isolated or ceramic iron, I only see the Hakko 600 on Ebay from Japan, is this a reliable unit or should I look else where?
Are all soldering stations isolated or do I have to research that too?

Hakko makes a great product, well respected and I'd say best in class. I prefer the station type irons and went with a 951. The 888 is very common in the electronics hobbyist arena.

I used to use a regular 35 watt iron but now I'm getting back in to the tinkering hobby, I realize I should be using an isolated or ceramic iron, I only see the Hakko 600 on Ebay from Japan, is this a reliable unit or should I look else where?
Are all soldering stations isolated or do I have to research that too?

I like the Metcal products. Also any of the ESD rated units should be safe.

Reactions: unit_399
what about a ceramic insulated iron, did they ever get on the market? wont get any voltage through that I don't believe

You can read the specifications on the Hakko site. The FX-888D uses a ceramic heating element, uses same tips as the FX-600, but I've not read much about the FX-600. I just prefer a station type iron for their superior performance, and the FX-888D offers a lot in a relatively inexpensive package. It's not a Metcal, but still a good iron for what you pay. I picked the FX-951 because of the automatic shutoff and standby modes, and the thing heats up fast and holds temp great - I never gave leakage a second thought.

I just ordered one of these from eBay, 12v DC. Should eliminate concerns.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131538423491?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
87309.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated