• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WHAT KIND OF AMP IS THIS?

440denver

Jan 19, 2009
I got this amp from a guy who knew nothing about it and I'm trying to find out a little more about it.It seems to be some type of home brew amp with no brand name on it.It holds 10 tubes.Looks like 4 driving 6.After a lot of research on the web,the closest thing I can compare it to is the d&a phantom sweep tube amplifier.The parts layout is nearly identical except on the phantom all 10 tubes have the wire caps that clip on the tops of the tubes and this one only has the caps on the 6 driving tubes.I would like to know what kind of tubes this originally ran on and if there are any substitutions for them.Are all 10 tubes the same or are the 4 pre drivers different from the 6 drivers.I have included a couple of pics in hopes that someone will recognize this amp and maybe pass on some useful info.Thanks for taking the time to read my post and have a great day.Alex.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    539.6 KB · Views: 869
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    549.9 KB · Views: 776

looks like the "SCOUT" brand.usually the drivers are different from the final tubes .how many pin sockets are on the driver section and the final section?should be a 4 driving 6 .

could be a few different tubes ...6lq6,6lf6,6lr6........at least they arent compactron tubes (like 8950`s)those get expensive.you know even if they are 6lq6 tubes your looking at buying 10 of them.that can get quite pricey..and what then if it doesnt work?your out all that cash.personally ..i,d sell it and invest in another amp thats up and working with the money.

unless you know wheres theres ten tubes dirt cheap??good luck .....

the ones with caps are probably 6lq6`s...the other 4 might be 6jb6a`s..a shorter tube with no cap.look on ebay i see these alot .then question someone about the tubes it takes.

most of these sweep tube amps are built in the 60's and early 70's, back when every television had a sweep tube, and they were as cheap as dirt.
Most of these CB amps were custom jobs, and the only way to get it fixed was to take it back to where you bought it.

Flash-forward today. Televisions dont use sweep tubes, and they havent for nearly 30 years.

If the tubes in that thing are bad, the best chance today of fixing it is to use the EL509/EL519 tube. However, those things might not handle the plate voltage those old tubes did, or dissipate quite so much power, meaning its not just a drop-in.

Looks like a sos electronics SCOUT 20. or a SUPER SCOUT. i think the scout 20 was 4 driving 4. the super scout was 4 driving 6 or 8.

It's a Super Scout. It looks like later model D&A or Maco transformers were used in it. I'll dig around and come up with the tube complement it was built with.

Great amp!! Rock Solid.

BC

It is nice to have a link to some high grade pictures for a change! It looks like a Super Scout as BC & others have already said.

W/o seeing the underneath, I can't be positive but it looks like:

4ea.- 6KV6A tubes or equivilent (6JG6A or 6JT6A output will be a little less)
6ea.- 6MJ6 tubes or equivilent (6LQ6 or 6JE6C) for the finals.

I've owned several Super Scouts, & the tube brand Sylvania seem to work best. After looking @ the picture of the amp, it looks like the tube sockets could do w/ a bit of cleaning & you might want to check the relays as well.

Great amplifiers when they're working right!! Let me know if you need any tubes, once you figure out which ones you need.

BTW - 8950's, 6LF6's, & 6LR6's are "Compactrons". All have 12 pins, & wouldn't work in your amp w/o MAJOR modifications.

Just my 2 cents..... Good luck!!

I don't think it's a scout.Not even sure there is such a thing as a scout.I searched the entire web and came up with zero results for scout.Only amp I could find called a scout was a gibson guitar amplifier.

I don't think it's a scout.Not even sure there is such a thing as a scout.I searched the entire web and came up with zero results for scout.Only amp I could find called a scout was a gibson guitar amplifier.

The amp is a SCOUT. No doubt about it. Not a lot of info on the web on these amps. This is a photo of the smaller 4 driving 4 Scout amp. If you don't want it I'm sure there are several folks around that will be glad to get their hands on it.
Scout amps were intially built by SOS Electronics in Memphis. Later they were built by a couple of different builders. You can find the name MADA on some of them and others like the one you have do not have a brand name but only a model name.

BC

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 810
Hey BC, you ever heard "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink?" Yup.... :headbang

I normally put in "my 2 cents worth", but this one's FREE!

OK.Seeing is believing! Looking at the photo there can be no doubt.Don't know why there was nothing on the web on these.Now I just have to figure out what kind of tubes it takes.It didn't have any in it when I got it.But,Hey..I really appreciate the help on this!Alex.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.