• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What micto use

Cartoon Man

May 19, 2006
Hello all,

I have a stock, (no tune, no swing kit... ect.) DX949 and looking to change the stock mic. I am thinking of the 636L or the road devel power mic. Is one one better than the other in a mobile on a stock radio? I am just getting back into the radio thing. The last radio I had was way back, it was a tube radio.....

Thank you

not tuned ? I'd go with the RD (amplified NC) ,tuned I'd go with the 636 (non amplified NC) or stock mic. Power mic's have become a thing of the past for me , no real need with a good tune on these radios of today, I use a RK-56 NC mic ,no back ground noise in the mobile and helps from over modulation , but that's with a tuned radio. You might conceder getting your radio properly tuned but they will still work without. Good Luck to you.

Thank you Switch Kit,

Do you know any good tech/place to get a radio tuned in the Detroit area? It's hard to find a good one without having to mail it some where....

Thanks again....

Hey Switch kit,

had the radio checked out and to my supprise it DKs at 4 and swings to 22!
Swap antenna from a Firestick 5' to a francis f'glass 8' and does she talk now....
Haven't changed out the mic yet, every one tells me it's loud so I will get a 636L soon.

Thank you all for your input.....

Cartoon Man

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.