• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what now?

wrong way

Dec 3, 2008
columbus ohio
now my fatboy will either dead key 2 watts swing 1050w or dead key 1050w no in between it seems like I can never get this just right so my ? is how do I go about getting a variable power? or can I bypass it so I dont have to worry about this again?

now my fatboy will either dead key 2 watts swing 1050w or dead key 1050w no in between it seems like I can never get this just right so my ? is how do I go about getting a variable power? or can I bypass it so I dont have to worry about this again?

If it has the variable pot installed those are notorious for not being up to the job and should be replaced or bypassed.

Bypassing the variable requires basically retuning the input which is not such a big problem if you have some silver dipped mica caps and the input tune on most amps of that type usually tune at a level of 150pf to 270pf.

The easiest fix might be to simply replace the existing variable pot with one of the same value and watch how much power you're putting into the amp for drive, so if you do this and you have a radio with variable power adjustments turn the amp variable full right and adjust the power level with the radio.

The reason the pots go bad is internal arching which burns the contacts inside.

If it has the variable pot installed those are notorious for not being up to the job and should be replaced or bypassed.

Bypassing the variable requires basically retuning the input which is not such a big problem if you have some silver dipped mica caps and the input tune on most amps of that type usually tune at a level of 150pf to 270pf.

The easiest fix might be to simply replace the existing variable pot with one of the same value and watch how much power you're putting into the amp for drive, so if you do this and you have a radio with variable power adjustments turn the amp variable full right and adjust the power level with the radio.

The reason the pots go bad is internal arching which burns the contacts inside.
well I went to a fat boy dealer and he put a H/M/L switch and worked in his shop fine L/250w M/350w H/450w Dead keys but in my suv same problem most of the time might work right 1 out of 50 times they said I should probably drill the hole and go ahead and roof mount my wilson 5000 what do you think? thanks for the reply..

Well you'll need to open it up and see if the resistors coming off the 3 position switch are not burned (I assume that's what they installed) and if they're ok then desolder the ends of the resistors from the switch and check the switch for continuity in all 3 postions.

Not really sure if hardmounting the antenna is the problem, I have the same antenna on my roof and it handles a 2x4 davemade fine unless you're getting some stray rf back into the radio causing some output issues there.

general lee 2w swing 50
Pep is a little high but I did'nt ask exactly which amp you have either.

But now I'm thinking you might have an issue with the relay, does it click when you modulate? then click out? I've had amps with dodgy 2222a transistors at the relay that would cause that to happen and 50 watts pep might blow that transistor.

Need more information here. How big of a Fatboy we talken and whats the pill configuration? What meter? How about your install like coax, jumpers, battery alternator, and antenna?

You did say a General Lee keying 2 and swings 50, and a Wilson 5000m mag mount. One observation here is if you are running more then 600 peak watts I would not go Mag mount. Once you get up in wattage on a mag mount the ground can start to float.

Need more information here. How big of a Fatboy we talken and whats the pill configuration? What meter? How about your install like coax, jumpers, battery alternator, and antenna?

You did say a General Lee keying 2 and swings 50, and a Wilson 5000m mag mount. One observation here is if you are running more then 600 peak watts I would not go Mag mount. Once you get up in wattage on a mag mount the ground can start to float.
well I got two alts stock 70 amp and 120 amp gm 1 wire running into a red top and off the side posts is 4 gauge welding cable to back floorboard where 1x4 all 2879 fatboy is. On dash is GL (now 1.25w swing 50) 9 ft rgx8 to amp 9 ft back to dash meter dosy test center then from there on it is mag mount wil 5000 and it has swung almost double the 600 watt limit for the mag mount(guess i do need to roof mount this saturday) but I droped the radio dead key to 1.25w and it seems to have helped sounds good many flowers and keeps my dead key at around 175 on high 50 on med and 5w on low so I just runn it on high and talk my ass off still seems somthing is wrong though dosnt it. swr are flat flat with amp off.. thanks for all the replies you guys are great

Ok, the 600 watt thing is approximate but your about as big as you can go for a mag mount.

One thing I would do is have the General Lee backed down alittle, 50 watts peak into a 1x4 is way way way too mucho. 2 watts swinging 25 would be great. Fatboys are tough but in time you will blow out the keying section of that amp with 50 peak going in.

Ok, the 600 watt thing is approximate but your about as big as you can go for a mag mount.

One thing I would do is have the General Lee backed down alittle, 50 watts peak into a 1x4 is way way way too mucho. 2 watts swinging 25 would be great. Fatboys are tough but in time you will blow out the keying section of that amp with 50 peak going in.
Prishiate it I'll put that on the list just hate to pay to undo what I paid to have done but hey if that is as easy as adjusting my dead key maybe I can do it huh?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.