1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

What piece of equipment is this?

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by G0ldenVaughn7, Jan 5, 2018.

1. G0ldenVaughn7

G0ldenVaughn7 New Member

Im a fairly new ham and I was looking at ham shack set ups and this piece pops up quite often. I cant seem to make out what it says on the red brand tag. Does anyone have any info on this piece of equipment. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Active Member

My guess is a rotor to turn an antenna.

#2 Low_Boy, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  3. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Its a rotor control box

midnight special likes this.
  4. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Got one sitting in he shack. t's a Cornell-Dublier antenna rotator control box. CDE was later sold to Hygain. That one looks like it has had an aftermarket modification to it called a brake delay. It would delay he application off the rotator brake until after the mast had stopped rotating. Looks like a Ham-II or Ham-IV or CDE-45 control box.

bob85 and midnight special like this.
  5. G0ldenVaughn7

G0ldenVaughn7 New Member

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I take it these are for yagi antennas?

6. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Any beam antenna, Directional.

7. Hurricane145

Hurricane145 Active Member

Mine has the brake delay added to it but there is nothing on the front panel that needs to indicate that. My tower is right outside the "radio room" so I can hear it engage. It's a Wilson TT45B with the rotor base so the rotor is right there.
    It looks like the owner may have added some lights or LEDs to indicate when the rotor is actuated. I can't think of any reason to bother with that though. Just fun stuff to do
    maybe.

8. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

You are correct. I took another look at the image blown up and it is an Rotor-EZ modification.

https://www.hamsupply.com/rotor-ez-hy-gain-rotor-control/

Hurricane145 likes this.
  9. Hurricane145

Hurricane145 Active Member

Pretty slick. I have never seen that before. It does get kinda old holding the two levers down when turning the rotor a long way. Not worth $100 and the effort to modify the rotor box to me however.