• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what radios have the best ears ?

the Stoner Pro 40 was introduced to the market in S9 Magazine in 1977, shortly after the first Uniden built Cobra 148's arrived in the market place. what's pathetic is technology has digressed since then with respect to the state of the art when it comes to cb radios and 10M exports, particularly where the receiver is involved.

the best in receiver technology has come and gone. the Stoner Pro 40 is no more an antique then the first 148's and the Stoner receiver front end was ahead of it's time in the late 70's and 30+ years later nothing comes close to it.

S9 1977 PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT STONER-PRO 40

The Stoner Pro 40 SSB.

AM heterodyne can be eliminated by the "Whistlestop" passband audio filter, which can also be used to "peak" audio, helping separate stations on the same channel. In addition, dual time constant "NB1" and "NB2" noise blankers are provided.

STONER PRO-40 SSB CB

Back in 1985, I bought a DP2112A PHASE-COHERENT LOW-PASS FILTER MODULE from a company called DX Products in Laguna Hills Calif. This is pretty much the same as the STONER "Whistlestop" filter. Its basis is the NE570 Compander IC. If anyone has the old "Secret CB" books, look in Volume 23, pages 7-9. This filter is the best noise reduction device I have ever seen. I have a schematic somewhere in my files if anyone wants to try and build one.

Reactions: Crawdad7
A Stoner...... O hell yea! I'm sure Booty can find one of those reasonable. Hell a dead one went on Ebay about a month ago for over 600 bux..:glare:

the Stoner Pro 40 was introduced to the market in S9 Magazine in 1977, shortly after the first Uniden built Cobra 148's arrived in the market place. what's pathetic is technology has digressed since then with respect to the state of the art when it comes to cb radios and 10M exports, particularly where the receiver is involved.

the best in receiver technology has come and gone. the Stoner Pro 40 is no more an antique then the first 148's and the Stoner receiver front end was ahead of it's time in the late 70's and 30+ years later nothing comes close to it.

S9 1977 PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT STONER-PRO 40

Thats the radio I was thinking of, although $995 in 1977 dollars is more than $3000 in todays dollars.

Theres more to good ears than just sensitivity.
What makes good ears is to be able to hear weak signals in the presence of strong adjacent signals. Often when you hear bleed-over, its not from the station transmitting, but in fact is being generated within your own CB receiver.

Just as important as sensitivity is
selectivity: an I.F. filter just wide enough for the mode you're operating in. SSB needs a narrower filter than AM.

dynamic range & 3rd order intercept: prevents strong signals on other channels from bleeding over.

I'm sure that Stoner Pro 40 did good in those areas, but would you pay $3000 for CB today?
Compare for example, todays tentec jupiter with dynamic range of 90dB@3KHz and +10dBm IP3 for $1600.

Ranger wont tell us what the numbers are for the rci2950, because i'm sure they suck.

I have ICOM 7000 with good ears.. but the Magnum S-9 and S-980 compared side by side with ICOM 7000 have equal ears on 11 meters.. jsut my 2 cents..
Doug :)

Wat radio has the best ears

Its the antenna that determent's the ears of your system, I have found that an antenna what is wound with thin wire that will do the JOB will hear a lot better than an antenna that uses very large wire for the coil. Case in point my K30 hears better than my K40 and the K40 hears better than my Wilson 5000 but the K40 will handle 300 watts and the Wilson will Handel what ever I put into it and the K30 will handle less power yet..........Walterb

I realize this is a two year old thread but it is surprising no one mentioned the President George. An absolutely amazing receiver, IMO even better than the HR 2510 that I had owned previously.

Seriously. Even in a big truck the George had the quietest receiver I've ever heard - outside of high dollar Ham gear of course-. Just loved that Dynamic Squelch or whatever they called it. Somehow the rig knew the difference between background noise and a legitimate signal.

Quite simply the George could hear a dime drop on a carpeted floor in a bowling alley on league night. It was just that good.

Still kicking myself for letting that one go.

i liked the old president line of radios the best
p. washington
p. grant
p. mc kinlely
p. jackson
just too n ame a few of my top favorites '
then theres the old cobra/uniden i think they come in at a very close 2nd
most will argue about that but i have /got both and from my ears the old
president line has it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.