• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What should I expect?

Kiev88CM

Aug 30, 2012
Okay, let me say first, that I know very little about HAM and am a new join to the site. I have been reading the forums though and am thinking of getting a TYT THUV3R. (2.5 watt transmit) transceiver (which is a dual band like the Wousun units)and Moleclo's excellent review... my wants are FM ( listening ) and HAM ( listening ).... I much prefer this to the same price point SW receivers. The capture ratio seems quite good on these things..... my question is if a licensed operator was transmitting on one of these in my area ( tract house suburbia ) what could one expect out of 2.5 watts transmit?.... why would anyone consider these and not go to a 5 watt unit.... I am discounting the minimal size increase. ....and I hope I'm not being condescending as I will probably buy one.

alot is in question,are you flat like Kansas,or hilly like me in Mizzo?I get by with my ht at my house,im on the 5th highest hill in my state.I run a baofeng uv3r...But it isnt any good when i go out,and am in low areas...i use my ft450r Yeasu and it does great...73 de n0zna

I'm on the cost about 14 miles from Annapolis , MD. ..which means we do have hills , not flat like our eastern shore. So, it is a "line o' sight: sort of things...these waves don't like to go around things. I'm still thinking about picking one up.....the nice thing about this tiny state is that you can be in the Blue Ridge in about 2 hours , the beach in about the same. Thanks for you quick reply.

1st off...
Welcome to the forum.
Lots of good info and people here.

if you are in the hills..
it can go either way..
depends where the repeaters are in relation to you.

5 watts is of course typically better.
Either way though.
you likely will need ( or want to use) a better aftermarket high gain antenna..

regardless of the HT..
the included antenna typically is near useless.
you likely will see double to four fold performance gain with a good aftermarket high gain antenna

Thanks guys,
Looks like Comet makes a good 19" model antenna. I've been reading up on what it takes to produce 2.5 vs. 5 watts vs. battery drain vs. heat produced. I will continue gleaning the forums before I invest in the little hand held.

The small 2 watt radios are good for close-in work or for when you're near a repeater. Sometimes you just want something that fits in your pocket and don't need to transmit very far. That's the target market for these little radios. As mentioned, the stock antennas on these little radios really do stink and it's not a difficult problem to fix. Around the house, I use my TYT in combination with my FTM-350 90% of the time. This past weekend, I wend RV'ing with the family and used the TYT and Baofeng UV-3r to communicate with the family all around the site. Perfect radio for that application. When I'm out of the house and can use an HT but am unsure of the repeater distance, I take a different radio.

More questions...the PC programming cables are chipped?... are the cables from the Wouxon ( for example) compatible with the TYT ( if the connections are the same )?....and does anyone have thr TYT Th-UVF9 ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.