• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What to do

jbo

Sep 27, 2005
Oscoda MI
I currently have this setup, Grant XL, road devil mic, and wilson 1k in my mobile. I have been able to talk to people about 20 miles away if they have a good setup as well. Anything I can do to talk further. Should I look into a new radio that has more power? Put an amp on it? The recieve is awesome. I heard a guy that was 45 miles away from me last night but he couldn't hear me. There was a guy in between relaying messages. I mainly talk AM but use the sidebands some as well.

jbo,
More power? That's one way, but it has diminishing returns. Getting your antenna higher (you and the car too), or getting in the clear, away from stuff, works about as well in most cases. The biggest thing that determines how far you can talk is propagation. Not a whole lot you can do about that, except wait, it'll get better.
- 'Doc

Get yourself an amplifier, diminishing returns, and propagation? The OP is talking about a single digit carrier and ground wave @ less than 50 miles, Me thinks a little fire-in-the-wire would be the most practical upgrade considering the current setup...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.