• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What would be the reaction if Hams used 11m legally using their calls.

But there are no callsigns on the cb side of things, you can call yourself whatever the hell you wish.

My reply was to a specific question that Booty Monster asked:

'so i gotta ask , what type of legal (court/jail) issues would a cb'er get into using a ham ID that isn't theres on the CB band ?'

Really? Yo mean they can't be used for website URLs and on auto license plates?

When I said "elsewhere" I meant using your call on other radio services (bands). Of course you may use it on forums or a license plate. ;) My meaning was the same, but CK worded it better:

It has nothing to do with the band not requiring any ID. You better take a closer look at the laws regarding ID'ing a transmission. You will find tha one licensed radio service is not permitted to use it's assigned callsign while operating in a different radio service.

Interesting collection of responses.
Some idicate total; lack of knowledge.
First, if you key in my call on the internet it will show a lot of info I have no control over, where I live, maps and the whole nine yards.
Once you get a lisc, the whole world knows where you are and much about you.
As for transmission finger printing, don't take what wiki ped says hook line and sinker because ham radio sets have no built in ID. Never did.
There is a lot of old equipment still being used as a well as home built transmitters. You will not find any info on any such ID system anywhere for Ham radio.
As for using my call on 11 m, there is no possible law against it.
It is my first and last name initals and a number. It's would be me on that band not some one else and is the same thing as using a handle. For official purposes the FCC knows instantly who I am right out of their data base.
What law is actually being violated and why is it a violation for 11m?
I can have it on my vehichle plate, name tag or anywhere I choose to use it even as an e-mail address.
A band with no requirement means just that. If I use Henry Winkler or even some other ham call so what (on 11m)!
On any other band that does call for the proper ID, that ID must be used if you are lic or authorized to operate that band. 11m is not one of those bands.
For example if I used the handle 'Pet' but put it as P3et would that mean a call form another country? Not a leg to stand on over this because it doesent mean anything.
When I work DX on the ham bands, very often the other station's first return addresses me by my first name when I had never had contact with that station in the past. They set there with computer online and key in my call.
Officially on the ham bands I can even legally ID using CW even if others can't read it.
With other langauges, ID must be done in English or CW as specified in the law at least every 10 minutes.
BTW the call is the station Id and Lic to operate no matter who is operating it or where it is being used. If from a different location, the designation 'portable' should be used after the call.
A lisc/call is an aggreement with the FCC that you will operate the station according to the letter of the law and with good engineering practices and reasonable procedure that does not affect or interfer with the rights of others to use the frequencies. The issue becomes the interpetation and judgement of how to operate.
Obviously on 11m there are no standards of any kind except for radios that most violate the law with in any event. No mods mean no mods. That power mike was not part of the FCC type acceptance, no retunes, opened up , no amplifiers or any of it etc.

Thanks all who replied.

Reactions: NZ8N
Pros and cons!
The band does not require any ID, so as far as I know there is no part 95 or 97 rule to prevent it.
Would it demonstrate good operating practice if done without a lot of foolishness and have some point of value such as discussions and net operation procedures etc.?
Non use of power mikes and cranked up audio etc to show what a good stations sounds like etc.
Any body doing it or let us know how it goes if you do it.

CB and Amateur radio are totally different services. It is definitely poor operating practice you use your Amateur Call on CB. Certainly it is legal.. but... what about a CB operator who is also a ham comes on the local 2 meter repeater giving his "handle" while talking to another Ham/cber.. both of course, IDing per regs; but using cb handles the rest of the time.

I do rag on the illegal CBers... BUT I also rag on the hams who think they can be big shots when on CB.

KM3F, did you look at the link I posted a page or two back regarding TX fingerprint ID'ing? It was not from Wikipedia but was a performance review of a technique which is actually used by the FCC and Industry Canada.
Also it is a fact that you cannot use a licensed callsign issued in one radio service while operating in another radio service. Jeeeesh, I'm in Canada and I know YOUR regulations better than you. Look it up, I'm not going to do the work for you.

I have all the respect in the world for John, he was a very good friend to me for several years and I still operate a modded Uniden PC-68 he personally did and gave me for 0 $'s so don't speak about things you have no personal experience with.

Mack were you better friends with Kiki or John? I think John gave you the radio to leave his wife alone...

I never whored anyones call sign, I believe GLR did and why should I have any respect for a bunch of self policing jackwads who consider themselves better just because they remembered a few questions to pass a test any 11 year kid could do on a daily basis?

I never said you did or should [them].

It has nothing to do with the band not requiring any ID. You better take a closer look at the laws regarding ID'ing a transmission. You will find tha one licensed radio service is not permitted to use it's assigned callsign while operating in a different radio service.

i'm gonna start using the handle: Double-you Won A Double-You :love::love:

The only way the so called ham can use 11m legally is to buy an acutall cb radio designed for cb with the type acceptance and not some modified ham radio or export crap.
If the ham wants to operate an actually cb radio and use his call sign for whatever reason when talking with the guy down the street then why not. The moment that ham using his call sign and the cb talks with someone over the forbidden sound barrier then he is no longer legal just like everyone else and so what.
The limit on range and power was mainly to prevent interference between other users of the cb band anyway based on the number of stations using the band. With the decline of cb popularity it is a moot point anyway.
Where I live if I don't talk dx I don't get to talk with anyone at all.
There is no point in trying to get or keep some kind of wedge between cbers and hams, can't we all just get along. Use what you made, bought, or traded for and just CQ and QSO to your hearts content and have some fun, life is too short to sweat the stupid stuff.

A Ham's "callsign" has NO VALIDITY on 11 meters. If a Ham was to use his call-sign, it would be considered his "handle" as a call sign is not required on 11 meters.

We don't use call signs on 11 meters, only handles..... using your call sign would be just stupid anyhow. There is a lot of chest beating on CB, threats, slander, and a legitimate call sign would just invite someone over with cable cutters.

Most CB operators prefer to use self-assigned handles reflecting some aspect of their personality; it is generally considered a breach of CB etiquette to use real names, even your own.

You want to keep your identity vague on CB, because when the shit gets deep...CB is NOT all talk, there are people that will show up to kick your ass, bring down your tower, and cut coax. There are no Lids on CB, it's just an open can of whoop ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
It amazes me on some of the replies that i just read. At one time i wanted to go for my Tech Ticket. But then again i wonder how much B.S. is there on 2-meter and on the rest of the bands. I hear enough of it on 11-meter. And if that is not enough, I can find it right here.
KHQ-0126 11-meter since 1973

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.