• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

whats a good antenna

Paul_26HAS961

Jun 5, 2011
Hi there new to the SWL I have just purcessed a Radio Shack DX-394 with mods have read up on the scanner and i'm happy on what i have read.My question is while i wait for the scanner to arrive what would be a good antenna to use i'm thinking long wire or are there any other types i could set up,many thanks Paul

25'-30' of wire will do you good.You could go longer for better performance on in the lower part of the spectrum but the DX-394's frontend tends to overload.

Last edited:
25'-30' of wire will do you good.You could go longer for better permormance on in the lower part of the spectrum but the DX-394's frontend tends to overload.

Yep, that's all you need. You can used good shielded coax to get the feedline out of the house - away from possible inside electrical noise - then add (solder) the 25-30 feet of wire onto the center conductor and string it up in a tree branch or someplace. A diagonal slant will be good or if you can manage to hand it straight up that will be dandy as well.

good luck

Not sure about the 394 but if it's anything like the DX-440 a chunk of wire works.

Problem is these radios do not have adaquate front end bandpass filtering so a really good antenna will make unwanted stuff appear.

With all the noise generating devices in the home and neighborhoods anymore, I like balanced antennas.

Hi PAUL ; I had a dx-394 for years & thought it was a good rig; never had a problem with overload on any of my antennas . Just remember to turn your gain back to the lower end when starting to search out a signal at least till you get the feel of the band your working & how it works . Then you can turn the gain up to catch the weeker signals , some times the signal is better cut back to clean up audio ? have fun try homebrewing some of your own antennas ? Bob. "lucky 13".

I don't know about front end overload. When I put up 30' of wire I have "back end underload". - I use 300' +/- of varying gauges of copper wire. (Google "beverage antenna"). I feed it to my Kenwood TS-430s in the aux ant input and it switches between the bev and whatever transmit ant I'm using. My 1948 Hammarlund HQ-129X (hot) loves it. ALSO - Do not overlook a really good ground for your rig. It will be quieter with better receive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.