• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's going to happen to your stuff when you shove off?

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
(no this is not a ploy to acquire radio equipment LOL)

Seeing as how the sunspots are down, the summer is over, and everyone seems to have lots of time for commenting on threads in forums and on facebook, i thought maybe this sort of discussion might ease the tension
a bit. (i figure thinking about your own mortality has got to be less dark than our recent forum sojourns :D)

This is a question that i find myself wondering about every once in a while, and i am currently helping someone get rid of some items of their grandfather's.

Do you have a plan for someone to sell your stuff off?

Do you have someone in mind to pass it on to?

Have you even thought about it?

The person i am helping has absolutely no clue about what is valuable and what is un-sellable.

As i sort through plastic bin after plastic bin, i find myself justifying the value of certain items to them.
Their attitude is just to get rid of it all, and while i would be happy to take the bins home with me; this person does not have much money and will really benefit from my help with ebay auctions.

Now here's the 'little-bit-sticky' part. The person who passed is a radio friend of mine for a long time, and i have repaired quite a few radios for him. I stopped charging him once he retired, and because of that he promised me one of his ham radios when he passed.
I never really thought anything of it, but he died unexpectedly and i don't feel like i would ever want to bring up his promise to me with his grandkids.
To be very honest it's an old radio but in very nice condition, and i would really like to have it, but im not going to even broach the subject. just seems too tacky.

I am on the young side of this hobby (I'm in my 40's) and don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon, but my wife knows exactly who to call if something happens to me.
That person is getting all my stuff because they are younger than me and will make use of it.

I just can't stand the thought of a bunch of irreplaceable manuals, kits, and radios ending up in the trash heap never to be seen again.

our hobby is so unique, finding the right 'curator' will prove difficult without you there to direct everything.

so what say you all?
LC

LC, don't worry about being tacky.

Approach the relative that you've been dealing with the most, (or the executor) and ask them. Say something along the lines of:

"Look, <friend> promised to leave me a radio; but I don't know if he wrote it down anywhere. I feel awkward asking, but would you mind discussing, with the rest of the family, whether or not I could have <particular radio>? I would greatly appreciate it, and I fully understand if it's not something that you guys are comfortable with. "

Chances are, they think highly of you, if they've asked you over to help sort through his stuff. I would imagine that they trust you, as well. So, just ask. Be tactful about it. They'll probably be delighted to pass it along to you. My best friend just gave me the car that he inherited from his father, as opposed to selling it. As I was close with his dad, as well, he knew that I would appreciate the vehicle, and take care of it better than some stranger who might have bought it. I expect that the family of your friend would feel similar, in regard to that radio. Plus, as you've been helpful to them, they'll likely be even more glad to grant the request. And, if they'd rather not, so be it. Obviously, you don't feel entitled to it, so no big deal, but at least you won't regret not asking, later.

But, really, ask. As long as you're tactful and respectful (and, you strike me as one who would be), there should be no harm in it.

LC, great topic!

I addressed this very thing a couple of months ago when my wife and I finally got around to tackling the dreaded task of preparing our will. All my radio stuff is going to my best friend who once was a CB buddy of mine back in the 70s. He has never returned to the hobby but would like to. Hopefully he will outlast me and get to do that.

If so, he will be the proud owner of an old Cobra 19 Ultra III, a Hobbico 12 volt power supply that produces 7 S-units of annoying hash, a 50' length of RG8X coax with a wire dipole made from a 10' extension cord soldered to it and a Diamond SX-200 SWR/Power meter with 3' jumper. (Sad when one's SWR meter is the most expensive item in his collection). :(

Oh, and an Alexloop antenna left over from my month-long
I Want to Be a Ham/I Don't Want to be a Ham venture that is still for sale in the WWDX SwapShop. Note: This is not a shameful attempt to sell a Ham antenna in a CB forum. The Alexloop works on 11 meters, too. (y)

Anyway, hopefully by the time I do pass, my setup will have vastly improved so he won't think I'm playing a practical joke on him.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: codeman
Don't worry about it. It will all be taken care of for you.

giphy.gif

The "armory" is in trust.
The vehicles are an investment if not sentimental.
The tools have an executor if he doesn't go first. If he does I have to do the same for him. This one is a bit out of the ordinary. All tools must be purchased at fair market value with the proceeds paid to the estate. In the event of justifiable need low to no interest loans are available. "Anything free is worth what you paid for it" . Conversely, you are more liable to take care of something you pay dearly for. It took decades of hard work to acquire my tools. Then again all have paid for themselves many times over or I wouldn't own them. Seems a bit involved for just tools. Not when it approaches $100K easily(replacement cost in today's $$)
Now the radio gear. As I mentored apprentices in the trades so do I in radio. Again I have taken the time to assign equipment to a balance of greatest need/best understanding. I'm not willing my tube gear to an appliance user. In this case most is of intrinsic rather than real value but again, fair market value paid to the estate .
Now the punchline. On my passing the estate is to be converted to a A 501(c) organization as a nonprofit organization in the federal law of the United States according to 26 U.S.C. § 501 and is one of 29 types of nonprofit organizations which are exempt from some federal income taxes. Within the 501c lies the trust that controls the armory and the tools.
This 501c is to further the art science and enjoyment of amateur radio, Further the training, education and proficiency of the trades, and to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Non Sibi Sed Patriae .
The tax benefit to purchaser of any of my tools or radio gear is that it can be declared a fully tax deductible donation to a not for profit entity.
The "armory" ? That stays with the family. In gawd we trust but keep your powder dry .
or
Beware of strong drink, it makes you shoot at tax collectors, and miss.
Be careful which state and what CFR you organize this under. It was far beyond any knowledge or practice I was able to do. Hire a good shyster and then have two more look at it .
As much as I'd like to I can't take it with me .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.