• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's non-simultaneous cross-band repeater access?

KD4UPL

Aug 5, 2012
I've been looking at buying a used Kenwood TM-G707A dual bander. The description of it on the Universal radio site says:
"Non-simultaneous cross-band repeater access is supported"
What does that mean?
I know the radio will not function as a cross-band repeater since it only does one band at a time. What is this function and how would it be used? Is it just a fancy way of saying you can program odd splits, one on each band?

Any other thoughts on this rig? I'm comparing it to a Yaesu FT-7800/7900 (don't know the difference).
I'm not a Kenwood fan but they seem to sell for about $50 to $75 less so I might take a chance.

I searched Google and could not find a clue on what that means. I know that this is an older radio, but it appears to be an ok dual bander. I don't think you can compare it to a Yaesu 7900 they are like day and night when it comes to features, as well as price. I own Kenwood TM V71A and it does cross band repeater functions but I have no idea what non simultaneous means when it comes to cross banding the radio. Possibly as you mentioned it could be with the offset split or something of that nature but I have never heard that term used before.

I don't even know if this Kenwood is in production anymore as the Kenwood web site lists the dual band mobiles, and that 707A is not listed there. I assume it's an older rig.

I have one I use at home. It's no longer in production but is a nice dual band radio. No clue what "Non-simultaneous cross-band repeater access is supported" means but I have a feeling it's some technical writers way of saying it doesn't do cross-band repeat.

Probably one of those recorders like "simplex repeat". Talk to it on one band and it "plays back" on another.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.