• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's that small wire on the 857 power lead?

Is it a sensing wire? I want to snip that plug off and put powerpoles on.
It is to be used with a power cord setup for battery power operation. You connect a ground wire to that pin and when connected to power it tells the radio to go into power conservation mode.
It drops output power and turns off the display light after 5 seconds (I think).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudfoot
If it were me I would just get a supply side plug and put the power poles on that.
They were on my 857's power cord and the guy didn't send me the supply side cord with the radio. I had to get replacements for both the radio side and supply side so could run the radio.

That must be a carry over from the 897 when running on internal batterys.
My factory cord did not include the brown wire.
I have seen that info on the net.
When running on internal battery power the 897 is in low power mode.

Jeff

That must be a carry over from the 897 when running on internal batterys.
My factory cord did not include the brown wire.
I have seen that info on the net.
When running on internal battery power the 897 is in low power mode.

Jeff
The power cord with the fuses doesn't contain the brown wire, only the cord on the radio side.

Reactions: NZ8N
I looked at my cables and did not see any wires other than the normal red and black connections.
This is what you should have for your power cord.
20190421_105925.jpg
20190421_110206.jpg

Is the brown wire on newer or older rigs. I want to replace the Molex plug with powerpole. I don't like how honkery that pigtail looks. So, I can just clip the brown wire out the way?

If your radio has the brown wire connect back as it was. I looked at mine and the brown wire was not there. You can change the connector, just hook the brown wire back electrically.

Is the brown wire on newer or older rigs. I want to replace the Molex plug with powerpole. I don't like how honkery that pigtail looks. So, I can just clip the brown wire out the way?
As long as you never plan running the radio in energy conservation mode it should be fine.
I would not cut it off flush, I would leave a little tag end and put a piece of heat shrink tubing on the very end of it to insulate it and then another piece of heat shrink to hold it tight to the ground wire.
Then slap your power pole connector on.
If you do want to cut it off flush looks like you can unplug it at the board and remove it totally.

Have fun.

Jeff

Reactions: NZ8N and Mudfoot
I almost bought the 857 , but I got the 897 because it has more heatsink area with the larger case.
Even with the fans I like more heat sink.
There is a lot of stuff going on in these very small radios.
A little extra case and a little more weight did not concern me as I did not plan on hiking with the radio.
I am a 90% drive to the camp site guy so no problem there.

Jeff

I almost bought the 857 , but I got the 897 because it has more heatsink area with the larger case.
Even with the fans I like more heat sink.
There is a lot of stuff going on in these very small radios.
A little extra case and a little more weight did not concern me as I did not plan on hiking with the radio.
I am a 90% drive to the camp site guy so no problem there.

Jeff

Both radios have a lot going on. General coverage, air band, FM broadcast. Something for everybody. I enjoy listening to air band occasionally.

Last edited:
I still find the 857 hard to listen to. Still haven't put the DSP-40 in line :rolleyes:
No it isn't just the silly 2" speaker. I've tried a number of speakers.
Again, mine isn't going anywhere, it just wears me out :(

It is a tad noisy, I'll grant you that. I made several CW contacts this morning. Accessing menu functions is easy. Relays are noticeably quiet. Absence of filters is apparent, lol. I think I'll load all the slots up and call it a day. Wish it came with the TCXO like the 896.

I had a nice 2 meter simplex ragchew last night. Got pretty windy for couple hours. Did just fine.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.