• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's the noise floor tonight?

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
Anyone talking skip tonight what is the static floor. I am getting S-3 all channels. But skip rolling a lot. Right now hearing "Stormy Weather" Channel 6 Mobile, AL. I think the static is just atmosphere and skip tonight. Squelched at 11 o'clock which is norm for the radio.

I finally got a vertical base station antenna up Memorial Day project. Got vertical dipole up with 102 inch whip and spring as the radiator the reflector is an old 10 meter whip. the 10 meter whip is an oldie the 6 inch spring and whip are the old piece whip a static ball on the end. 99 feet of coax and 20 feet from my mobile home braced to a corner of my wooden shed. Only got it 15 feet up not 18 feet. I live on the end of road on hillside. pasture field behind me. 99 feed of Browning rg213 coax in 3 sections have not buried the middle section yet. My Pierce Simpson Pussycat 23 is the old radio I grabbed from storage today. SWR 1.4 1-23 lol. 1-23 Going to bury the coax in PVC sections later this week. Happy finally got it up. My recycled base antenna.

Many thanks,

Reactions: Slowmover

Anyone talking skip tonight what is the static floor. I am getting S-3 all channels. But skip rolling a lot. Right now hearing "Stormy Weather" Channel 6 Mobile, AL. I think the static is just atmosphere and skip tonight. Squelched at 11 o'clock which is norm for the radio.

I finally got a vertical base station antenna up Memorial Day project. Got vertical dipole up with 102 inch whip and spring as the radiator the reflector is an old 10 meter whip. the 10 meter whip is an oldie the 6 inch spring and whip are the old piece whip a static ball on the end. 99 feet of coax and 20 feet from my mobile home braced to a corner of my wooden shed. Only got it 15 feet up not 18 feet. I live on the end of road on hillside. pasture field behind me. 99 feed of Browning rg213 coax in 3 sections have not buried the middle section yet. My Pierce Simpson Pussycat 23 is the old radio I grabbed from storage today. SWR 1.4 1-23 lol. 1-23 Going to bury the coax in PVC sections later this week. Happy finally got it up. My recycled base antenna.

Many thanks,

S-3 here in north TX.
Talked to Louisiana, Mississippi and Indiana.
Congrats in your DIY antenna. (y)

Higher than this post will handle. This was sent to me as humor and hope it will be perceived as such.
thumbnail

Attachments

• trumpnail.png
    trumpnail.png
    472.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Many thanks,

Don’t worry about the 15’. My A99 is only 12’ up and works like gangbusters
You’ve got a good antenna, good coax, good SWR and a cool radio.
That’s more than most. (y)

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.