• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

whats youre favorite tube ?

B

BOOTY MONSTER

not tube amp , but tube . trying to learn about tube amps and it seems folks have some they like more than others and some have favorites .
something that can be used from 10 - 180 meters .

I like 3-500's in a 'glass' tube. The 3CX1200's in a 'metal' tube. I also like 'TWT' or traveling wave tubes. I can't think of any reason to ever use one, but they are funny looking, which I like.
- 'Doc

i like nixie tubes......

i have all the parts gathered to build a nixie tube clock and it will be my next project afer the dynaco is off of the work bench

scott

I used to like the big 833's in the old Gates BC-1 series transmitters I worked with in the broadcast busness but they start to get a bit flakey above 20 MHz. I have now become rather fond of the 4-400. Thay are a nice small package with 400 watts plate dissipation and the filamants glow almost white under normal operation.Besides that you can hit them with 4000 volts without hearing a complaint from them.They don't even start to perform real well until at least 3000 volts and are good to above 100 MHz.

izx56c.jpg

Current favorite is the Russian GS-35B, IMO it is the most bang for the buck. Right now they cost about $110.00 each. Works just as well as the 8877 with a stronger grid. I am considering building a two tube version, if the tube supply holds, going to monitor the supply for a while. Just coasting a pair of GS35's will put out an easy 4KW without breaking a sweat, at 1500 watts the tubes should last almost forever.

Second favorite is the 8877, I run that in one of my amps. Tube makes an easy 2200 watts and can squeeze out 2500 before the Alpha defaults. At 37 watts of drive, I see 1500 out on 75 meters using a chinese made 8877. With the Chinese making the 8877, the prices have come down to less than $700.00 each for one of those. However, the Eimacs are still pricey.

Most builders choose a tube based on frequency, durability, and what they can get cheap or have on hand. When the 8877 pulse tubes were plentiful back in the late 80's and the 90's, seems as though a lot of folks were buidling 8877 amps. Check the net and google the GS-35B, you will run across more than a few sites about building amps using this tube. Right now it is the current cheap and plentiful tube.

Hard to tell what the next hot ticket will be, seems here lately, I've read a few posts on various sites where guys have mention using rebuilt 3CX3000's because they are cheaper than new 3CX1500's.

I use the smaller GS-31B and it works great also. Have been hearing great things about the GS-35B also. I like the price of them and are getting great reveiws. Lots of people are modding the bigger Ameritrons with the 35B.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated