• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

when to skip/DX

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
Quick dumb question, I can only hear Skip/DX in daylight hours....is that normal? I know Nature gives and takes the optimal conditions for skip but...havn't been able to find this answer around on the net.:blink:

Reactions: 1 person

For 11 meters (CB) yes. Different frequencies are refracted off of different layers of the ionosphere. The ionosphere is charged by sunlight. 11 meters is refracted off a layer that for lack of a better term, disappears when the sun goes down.

Reactions: 2 people
As posted before, 11 meter DX follows the sun.

In the mornings from, N. America if Dx is god you can work into EU and S. Africa easily.

Afternoons it is a free for all where the DX will come from.

Evenings usually the Pacific, Australia

and Asia is work able.

This of course all depends on the Skip conditions.

HF propagation. Google it and enjoy reading.

Reactions: 1 person
You have to take the band opening when it happens...I remember times when 11 meters/cb would go all night and all day,then there were times it would be totally dead...just take what you can get when you can get it

Even us hams have to take what we can get when we can get it

Reactions: 3 people
This is right on the mark.

An observation: in the 30+ years I've been using 11 meters, I do not ever recall Europe and Asia coming in as consistently as I am hearing them nowadays.

As posted before, 11 meter DX follows the sun.

In the mornings from, N. America if Dx is god you can work into EU and S. Africa easily.

Afternoons it is a free for all where the DX will come from.

Evenings usually the Pacific, Australia

and Asia is work able.

This of course all depends on the Skip conditions.

HF propagation. Google it and enjoy reading.

back in the 60s durring that peak of solar cycle and the late 80s i see 11 mtrs run from 5am in the morning to 2am the next morning,it depend on the sfi and solor nunber and the most usabile freq,go to qrz.com and see the numbers and its on alot of dxclusters...

back in the 60s durring that peak of solar cycle and the late 80s i see 11 mtrs run from 5am in the morning to 2am the next morning,it depend on the sfi and solor nunber and the most usabile freq,go to qrz.com and see the numbers and its on alot of dxclusters...

intense e skip episodes i've seen run non-stop for several DAYS on 11m at least a few times over the last 37 or 38 years. 5am to 2am e skip on 11m i've seen countless times. f layer....can't say so much. usually within an hour or 2 from sunrise dx from the east (europe), transitioning to lower midwest (TEXAS :)) throughout much of the day, ending with west coast, or during high sunspot levels, the pacific, at or just after sunset.
i must say west coast seems to be more consistant, on a daily basis, after europe fades out, more so this cycle then what i remember in the past. on days where there is little europe to start the morning, texas starts it & cali is right after.
as for e skip, you can SOMETIMES get a feel for when & where it's gonna come from-on 11m at least-and i think that's in a large part do to the amount of stations running such high power levels. yes they say that e skip can allow a 5 watt station and a kw station to be heard at the same receiving station with the same signal because the ionisphere is literally taking the xmit from point A & depositing it to rcv at point B exactly as it was transmitted. of course if you're running 5 watts & your neighbor a thousand, he's still keying over you to somebody a block away.....duplicate that scenario over 1000 miles, same result. if e skip is allowing a signal to 'bounce', the 5 watt signal will be heard-if soebody is listening-on a quiet freq. the kw+ signal has the ability to get past the noise on a noisier freq.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.