• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

where are your amplifiers??

bob85

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2005
england
whats happened to the people building or rebuilding their own amps, only 3 of us?, i am sure a bunch of folk said they were having a go. :)

Well here ya go.

No, I didn't have anything to do with this one. A customer with an EXCEPTIONAL sense of humor just gave me the thing. Not too worried about ever trying to plug it in. No socket on the tube, gotta figure the tube's pins are directly soldered in. Some day I'll pull out the. ahem, "metal"-colored chassis and look inside.

microwave4250s8ea.jpg

Yes, it really was a Korean microwave oven, before this 4-250 tube got, er, "installed" in it. The pics of the power-supply wiring didn't come out right. I'll try again later. It's at least as humorous as the "RF" section shown here.

microwave4250cu9jy.jpg

And yes, the Tune and Load controls stick out the rear of the thing. I'm told the Ebay seller said it was a working amplifier. I'm just not brave enough to light the fuse on a bottle rocket indoors.

But it's an example of what a person can do with mostly "found" and junk parts. Why is another matter altogether.

now that is priceless nomad

I'm sure it set off some great mood lighting,
Not sure I'd want to plug it in the wall either

What is a Microwave oven, it is a 900 watt RF ampflier.

Yes this is a novelty project but, what you guys are snickering about is that guys construction technique but, the concept is solid.

Strip the internal chassis bare being careful not to disturb the outward appearance and mount a steel tube (GU-84b or GS-35b) horizontally thru the right side of the chassis. Inside the right side mount your transformer, diodes and, caps etc.

In the oven part you mount the tank circuit with the controls poking out the rear of the chassis; I would route my coax and position my relay behind the firewall on the right side.

Figure out a way to vent the hot pressurized air blowing thru the tube external anode and you have a 2000 watt amp packaged in a recycled Microwave oven case; a real hoot and a reason to have a Miller High Life every time your radio buds come around.

That Is unreal!
We should start 2 new sections, one called the wall of shame, and the other, you guessed it, the wall of fame.
Not sure were YOU want to put this one Paws, But I have my own Ideas, LOL

Jeff

paws264 said:
What is a Microwave oven, it is a 900 watt RF ampflier.

Yes this is a novelty project but, what you guys are snickering about is that guys construction technique but, the concept is solid.

Strip the internal chassis bare being careful not to disturb the outward appearance and mount a steel tube (GU-84b or GS-35b) horizontally thru the right side of the chassis. Inside the right side mount your transformer, diodes and, caps etc.

In the oven part you mount the tank circuit with the controls poking out the rear of the chassis; I would route my coax and position my relay behind the firewall on the right side.

Figure out a way to vent the hot pressurized air blowing thru the tube external anode and you have a 2000 watt amp packaged in a recycled Microwave oven case; a real hoot and a reason to have a Miller High Life every time your radio buds come around.

As I was driving down the street, it came to me that I was mistaken in what I said, it's an Oscillator that does 900 watts, not an amplifier.

An associate of mine once bought a box that had two 4-1000's mounted on a chassis but it did not have an enclosure to cover the whole thing so (because I had access to them) I scraped out a commercial Top-loading washing machine and mounted everything in it.

He ran it successfully until the land around him was developed into Condominiums where as, he started having an insurmountable amounts of TVI/RFI complaints and went 10-7.

robogator said:
2 things.....

You sure that isn't an AMPOWER tube amp ?... maybe the first one he built.LOL
How much was the top bid ?..I must have missed seeing it listed !

na man the fan would be on the side an it would be copy & patent protected and not be able to be more than 4 tubes in that case style. HEH :twisted:

couldnt resist adam LMAO

nomadradio said:
Hey Jeff, I like your idea. The hard part would be to keep it from degenerating into a "Wall of Flame".

:twisted:

How many of us here are truely qualified to be armed with that "Flame-thrower", just owning electronics doesn't necessarily make you an expert on what is and what isn't. I have seen (worked on and even built some) some UGLY amps.

Not only am I trained to carry the flame-thrower, I wear Asbestos Underwear!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.