• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where Did All The Transistors Go?

The problem is seeing the darn things, let alone working on them. The real question for this year is, "How many FET's can fit on the head of a pin?"

And I hope most of you realize by now, this conversation is mostly tongue in cheek. I don't like FET's, because I have blown out so many of them and it's expensive to get them replaced. And, it's no scret, it was mostly my own fault. On the other hand, there are a lot of people walking around with all kinds of bad information they are willing to share. Like, "Oh, sure, in side band just crank the RF power all the way up, cause SSB watts are empty watts." I really like that one. But one thing I do know now. You know how you learn about FET's? By blowing out a few of them. Now that's real time experience you can share. LOL

I find the best way not to blow FET's,BJT's or Tubes is not to dick about with stuff you either don't understand or don't have the proper equipment/knowledge to do the job, the second best way not to blow them is to avoid listening to retards, ssb watt is an empty watt, wtf, what moron told you that? lol.

Radio is a very small insignificant field of electronics,consumer electronics like tv's,dvd,blue ray,hifi,computers dictate the future of the components, the public wants smaller disposable items that are cheap as fuck,radio engineers just need to work with what's available or pay a dividend fir specially designed parts that others have explained is uneconomical,that's the reality.

As for audiophiles, not long before you reach the point of diminishing returns and even test gear struggles to differentiate never mind the ear,half eh them are that audiophilistic they sit listening to digitally remastered cd's wae major compression giving it yeah man,that distortion rocks.

what moron told you that?
More than one. I was hearing it from so many people, it was becoming embarrasing to discuss it. I thought I was in the rabbit hole for sure. It just did not add up.

More than one. I was hearing it from so many people, it was becoming embarrasing to discuss it. I thought I was in the rabbit hole for sure. It just did not add up.

Seriously?

a watt is a universal measurement of power, it don't matter if its from a lightbulb,a opower station,a cb output be it ssb,am or otherwise, a watt is a watt.

In a standard legal US cb with 4w carrier, when adding 100% modulation you get 6w on an average reading meter,as both sidebands at 100% modulation have 1/4 the power of the carrier, so both sidebands and carrier show as 6w on an average meter, or 2.6 x that on a P.E.P meter which is 16w P.E.P.

A single SSB transmitter has carrier and one sideband suppressed, (both sidebands carry mirror images of the voice and are modulated either upwards in usb or downwards in frequency on lsb by the amount of frequency the audio tone is supplied at the microphone socket.) So all the available power is left for one sideband,now if that sideband signal is set with a constant tone and an output of 16w P.E.P its using the exact same energy as your constantly 100% modulated AM signal.

In normal use that isn't quite the case,as sideband only works when you actually apply an audio tone/s like the voice,the power fluctuates and the gaps between words,sentences etc,any pause,the transmitter will stop and cool down, so from that point of view a 16w P.E.P ssb radio is more efficient than an equivalent energy 4w carrier 16w swing AM radio, infact its about 30/50 % the duty ratio of a constantly modulated AM signal,

but the voice doesn't constantly modulate so would be nearer 50% or more as AM don't swing till you talk either so ain't constantly modulated, but always has the carrier heating the transistors/tubes/fets whatever, but its not empty watts, may well be watts on an unwanted frequency,but deffo ain't empty watts.

Only empty watts you get is in amp builders advertising ;)

I will only discuss the merits of properly modulated AM signals as soon as you start doing mods you end up with the radio spewing allsorts of shit and eventual destruction of final whatever it is.You go above 100% modulation and add stupid Swing,or add outrageous power levels,no transistor is gonny tolerate it long

Another bonus of ssb is it uses half the bandwidth of an AM signal which reduces signal to noise ratio, the trade off for that is it requires better frequency stability and a clarifier at least as no 2 radios will ever be on the same frequency,nevermind when you got 5 or 6 on one frequency.

It amazes me after 60 odd years of cb in the USA and over 3 decades here these myths still go about.

Another pile of bullshit you'll hear is dosy watts,bird watts,zetagi watts, on the grand scale of things none of them are accurate,bird watts may well be the most accurate but even they are only accurate to +/-5% or something around that, for greater accuracy your going to pay mega bucks and even then you probably still won't get +/-0%,more likely 1 or .5 % at best.

Here's the bottom line 4wAM/12w ssb is chosen for a reason,its right at the limit of the devices clean linear power,you go above it and it starts getting messy, you fuck about with the swing ratio same thing happens,if manufacturers could squeeze extra watts out cleanly they would, its THE major selling point as so many people misunderstand power,people will argue they set it at that because its the legal limit,they set exports exactly the same when they don't have too,not exacy legal anyway so who gives a fuck how much power its pushing,they do it to stop radios being returned with blown final/s.

Only warning any radio should carry is: listening to morons can be fatal to your radios health and possibly lead to your door being caved in and your equipment seized and fined/jailed, granted the latter is unlikely but in many countries it is an option, It just ain't worth fucking about with stuff you don't know about.

Ha, I guess you did not read the whole thread? I started it to ask if there were ANY CB or Export radios being produced without FET finals. The answer so far, is NO.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.