• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

where does this wire go? pc78xl

slam

Oct 16, 2010
i have a uniden pc78xl. having a problem with it, it will look like its on but won't rx or tx. i can give a little love smack to the bottom of the radio and all would be well for a while, sometimes only for an hour sometimes for a month or two. its been like this for years and always drove me up the wall..anyway it does it pretty much constantly now and not really even useable anymore..

opened it up and i find this
bfa06d22.jpg

im pretty sure i didn't knock this wire loose...think this will cause no tx or rx?
28fe4256.jpg

i can't really tell where it is supposed to be soldered to...here maybe?
da69ce29.jpg

0638e6bd.jpg

I did, but the I have is kinda shitty and made of plastic. Can't really tell where the wire came from.. It almost looks like, where I am pointing there is two wire soldered together with a hole through the middle, but the wire won't poke through the hole so I am not sure..

Maybe it's finally time to step up and buy a new radio haha!!!

Not sure if I should start a new thread for more questions but if I was in the market for a little bigger radio, pretty much AM is all I am gonna use and it's going in a dump truck so it will see a bit of bumpy abuse. Will a general hp40 be a bad decision? Or would a standard general lee be a better choice?

A local cb shop wanted almost double $ for what the hp40 goes for so obviously I didn't buy that but he told me I shouldnt put one of those in a dump truck or I'd blow up the mosfets...???

A local cb shop wanted almost double $ for what the hp40 goes for so obviously I didn't buy that but he told me I shouldnt put one of those in a dump truck or I'd blow up the mosfets...???

Mosfets are more sensitive to poor SWRs, but I haven't heard of them being sensitive to dump trucks. I think the main reason some CB shops don't like mosfets is that they have a private reserve of 2sc1969 transistors that they are selling for $60 a piece. That has been my experience at least.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe that's what he meant. He mumbled something about banging the antenna on shit.. I've never destroyed an antenna but it does hit tree limbs and stuff sometimes in tight areas.. Would this only be the case if I was keyed up and and smack a tree limb? Or is brushing a tree while the radio is on and not transmitting ,hard on the mosfets too?

One thing I see about the general is it doesn't have the high swr warning light. That would be a nice feature

I think he he is worried that your antenna will take too much abuse and cause it to loose it's tuning.

Pick up a Firestick antenna. If your not running an amp then that antenna is what I would use. I personally prefer the Wilson antennas, but I found they don't hold up to the abuse that I put them through running the loads I do. So I run the Firestick. They have been smacked into trees, run out to the oil rigs on some terrible roads, had lime, flyash, cement, soda ash, and barite spilled on them (I go through alot of air filters), and they have held the same SWR reading for 3 years. I'm sitting in my truck now and just checked them. Still 1.3:1 on 1 and 1.4:1 on 40 from a cophased set up that has not been changed in three years.

10-4, I can see where you're coming from there. Well I ordered a standard general lee so hopefully I can keep it alive! We'll see

what are you going to do with the 78? i might be interested if the price is right. feel free to pm if you prefer.

Have a Magnum s6 in a triaxle... been there for the last 6 years. High swr's due to the stupid matcher for the am/fm/cb... Didn't realize it until I drove the truck one day (the normal driver doesn't drive on saturday) and every time I keyed up, the transmit light would blink... 6 years!!! Mosfet radio (erf2030's) Radio does 60 watts. No problems what so ever... I have since changed the coax and put a wilson 2000 on it. We go to some crappy areas and the antenna gets banged around... The key is to go slow... Hitting branches at 50 folds the whip forward. So that pretty much kills the shops theory on mosfets in a triaxle.

I have the benefit of actually driving AND tuning / repairing radios. I get a problem radio a customer says does strange things, but I can't reproduce them on the bench, I throw it in my truck and use it until it gets stupid. Then I fix it. Customers very happy because now it's really fixed....:D

And I'm pretty sure I have a 78xl... I'm busy tonight, but will check tomorrow sometime and post the location....

Reactions: 1 person
Radio Shack carries a decent SWR/power meter for around $40. Cheap insurance really. Check your SWR occasionally, and you'll not have a problem.

Here is a review on that meter.
http://cbradiomagazine.com/SWR & Po...4 SWR Meter/21-534 Radio Shack SWR Meter.html

Also don't try to squeeze every last watt from that radio. Get it aligned, and your modulation set at no more than 100% and it should give you no worries at all.

what are you going to do with the 78? i might be interested if the price is right. feel free to pm if you prefer.

i would still like to fix it and put it in my jeep:D its been a great radio and very reliable except that minor issue. ive had it for about 5 or 6 years and it was used when i got it..ive been wanting a bigger radio for everyday use so this was my excuse to finally throw some coin down.

Also don't try to squeeze every last watt from that radio. Get it aligned, and your modulation set at no more than 100% and it should give you no worries at all.
i got it as it comes out of the box with a dtb minor tune up, if i need more i can always amp it up later or something.

haven't found out where the wire goes yet but i keep getting this burnt smell when i look at this thing. i sniffed around and it seems concentrated in this area. JV45 i cant tell if that is a blob of solder or a blob of something that is burnt up and used to be something else.

here's a pic..any ideas what this is supposed to be?
36ae702f.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.