• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where to purchase braided ground strap?

Bundy

Tired and broke
Feb 16, 2009
NE Corner
After a forum search and some google searching I have really not come up with much info. I'm trying to do some research on where to purchase braided ground strap with the lugs already soldered on. There seems to be some suppliers on Ebay but I can't stand supporting Ebay in any way. Can anyone guide me to a website for purchase? I did stumble upon one place called electric motion but you have to purchase it in bulk. Thank you everyone.

'Braided' ground strap is not necessary. Any strap of similar type will work just fine. Probably the most common ground strap is just flat copper strapping. Cutting it from a 'sheet', or wider strap is certainly possible and works just dandy. That 'braided' strap thingy is more myth than fact.
- 'Doc

That 'braided' strap thingy is more myth than fact.
- 'Doc

No myth to it. It is better as far as flexibility goes and it stands up better to shock and vibration. Is it needed? No not at all. Is solid sheet copper fine to use? Sure is and it is easier to deal with as far as drilling a hole and using star washers with however it is a bit harder to come by and more expensive. For regular bonding of body panels the braid from regular RG8 type coax cable is adequate, Solder or crimp some ends on it and you are good to go. Far cheaper than buying ready made straps that may not be anything near the proper length.

Reactions: 1 person
'Braided' ground strap is not necessary. Any strap of similar type will work just fine. Probably the most common ground strap is just flat copper strapping. Cutting it from a 'sheet', or wider strap is certainly possible and works just dandy. That 'braided' strap thingy is more myth than fact.
- 'Doc

Yup. One option entails going to the local hardware store for a length of copper flashing from the roofing department. One ten foot length cut into 1 inch strips will provide ALOT of ground strap.

I'm not sure how well those "rigid" straps are going to work in a mobile environment. I think the flexibility of the braid would cut down on a lot of cussing.

I'm not sure how well those "rigid" straps are going to work in a mobile environment. I think the flexibility of the braid would cut down on a lot of cussing.

Agreed. I would use flexible straps on a mobile installation and for gear on my desk but solid strap in a grounding situation like a tower or bonding radials etc.

Ace Hardware, Home Depot, and Lowes also carries it in case you have one in your local area and want to save a few dollars on shipping costs.

If you're going to use braided copper strap in any situation where weather will get to it, you'd better tin it. Weather will 'eat up' copper braid very quickly. Throw in the normal chemicals you find near automobiles and it goes even faster. Been there, done that. You suit yourself...
- 'Doc

Reactions: Slowmover
- 'Doc

Sorry but you're talking bollocks. You put ground straps across things like hinges of doors, the hood, the trunk and to the engine block.

Flat copper strapping wouldn't last very long before breaking after several times of opening the door or trunk.

As for it being a myth, why did the resonant point of my antenna drop 300kHz when I used braid straps across the hinges of the tailgate and hood of my car?

If you're going to use braided copper strap in any situation where weather will get to it, you'd better tin it.

Why? Do commercial AM broadcast antenna installers tin the copper ground bars? Do they tin the radials they put in the ground? And you want to be both crimping and soldering connectors on so that's not an issue.

Mine have been on my car for 2 years now and are well weathered. They're performing as well as they did when I installed them.

For those worried about weathering you can use heatshrink tubing.

I think between the pothole laden roads and the incredible amount of road salt that is used (especially this winter) the flexible copper would not work. Plus I figure since my hood is grounded to the firewall, using braid from the factory, it can't be bad.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.