• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where would you buy a Galaxy 98VHP?

Snake Eyes

Oct 24, 2007
This ought to be fun!

A local cb friend may want to buy one of these, but is unsure as to where the best place is.

I told them I'd help them.

Whatta nice guy I am!!

73, Snake Eyes
(waving a hand)

id buy it where ever i could take it back and get a 2950DX or a 257 and and then get a palomar 225 and cost less than the 98vhp with a cleaner setup .

Actually if it's one of those blue face Palomar 225's they are exellent little amps. Class AB with filtering. Next would be a Cobra xl350 or the Galaxy version. Again these are clean little AB amplifiers with filtering. I have saved the best for last, start searching for a used Joker amplifier with the regulated AB bias.

Oops, forgot the radio question. Since you had good luck there snake eyes, buy the radio from Copper like your other one, and then send it to a good tech for the conversion, alignment, and tune.

DTB Radios sounds like a viable option!!

I don't really need more than 200-300 watts on any mode, so then again, how about the Galaxy 98 VHP?

My biggest concern is having my doorbell rung, 10-4?

73, Snake Eyes

NEW AVATAR IS A DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT

Booty,

On an unrelated subject....the new avatar is most excellent . A definite improvement.
Now on the radio .....I thought those were great recommendations & thanks for the tip re: the blue face amps . There is a difference. I have an old Boomer amp (which I think doesn't have ANY FILTERING) and it gets out well but,.......you should see the mess of rf it's putting out ! It makes the SWR go out of sight too, I'm thinking this is just stray rf (please correct me if I'm wrong here) but I can connect any of my other radios good SWR , good swing . Then I hook up the Boomer woooo BIG SWING , but SWR goes whacky.

In the long run , go with the clean AUDIO ! You'll be happy that you did.

Snake Eyes said:
DTB Radios sounds like a viable option!!

I don't really need more than 200-300 watts on any mode, so then again, how about the Galaxy 98 VHP?

My biggest concern is having my doorbell rung, 10-4?

73, Snake Eyes

Why don't you just buy you a good reliable SSB radio for around $200 and get you a TS 350HDV. Same thing but cheaper!I wish i had your money to throw around like that. ;)

thanks chainsaw ;)

i forgot to add on the palomar 225 only get the one at ALA or from http://www.firecommunications.com/site/contact.cgi . the 225 at coppper and probally other places are different inside although identical inside the ala/fire one is AB biased wit 2x1446 pills and built in filtering . the coppper one is class c no ssb no filtering and used 2x445's for pills . the palomar name isnt protected any more and kinda gets ho'ed out .

Yea, I'm not talking about the H & Y Palomar / Boomer junk. They make a nice clean AB blue face Palomar. Anything that says Boomer on it is junk.

dxChat
Help Users