• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Filter Should I Use....

does your radio have the audio limiter still intact?
are you running a amp?
are u running a power mic?if so keep mic gain on cb down

I am using a barefoot cobra 148gtl.....it dead keys 4 watts and has some swing.....I am using a nib turner +3 I just picked up...I was using a stock hand mic.....quit using my D-104 because they have been known to bleed telephones.

I have the mic set on 10 0 clock and the dynamike at 12 0 clock.

well, there's your answer,............... give your neighbor your cordless and tell him to throw his old phone into the chit can;)

That's still not the answer. You are comparing apples and oranges. The cordless phone probably operates at a freq. of at least 902 MHz and most likely several GHz.Even though the base unit is connected to the phone line they are pretty much immune to interference from a CB. The neighbor's phone is a wall type,a basic phone connected directly to the phone line. The phone line is acting like a loooooooong antenna and picking up the RF. The simple earpiece in the phone is probably rectifying the RF and that is why he is hearing the CB signal.

...quit using my D-104 because they have been known to bleed telephones.

That's not the fault of the microphone,it's the fault of the operator running it too high and causing overmodulation. The D104 has a really high level output and must be backed off nearly all the way for a lot of modern radios. Even my Kenwood TS-820S which is about 30 years old needed a resistor pad installed in the base of my D104 in order to tame the levels and be able to have some room left for adjustment.

Thanks for the info fellas......glad I did not purchase one of those low pass filters if you say they won't work. :)

And I will get up on the roof whenever it quits raining and loop the coax.

Don't make the coils too small. I didn't see what kind of coax you're using, but if it's RG8X, make the coils at LEAST five inches in diameter. If it's regular RG8, or RG213 (the stuff that's 0.405"; just under 1/2 inch) outside diameter), make the coils at least eight inches dia.

This'll keep the cable from deforming internally.

That's not the fault of the microphone,it's the fault of the operator running it too high and causing overmodulation. The D104 has a really high level output and must be backed off nearly all the way for a lot of modern radios. Even my Kenwood TS-820S which is about 30 years old needed a resistor pad installed in the base of my D104 in order to tame the levels and be able to have some room left for adjustment.

I was running the D-104 @ about 9:00....turn it down anymore and it shuts off......I live in a sub-division where the houses are only about 2 car lengths apart.....someone said that these fiber glass antennas the rf runs down the outside of the coax?

Don't make the coils too small. I didn't see what kind of coax you're using, but if it's RG8X, make the coils at LEAST five inches in diameter. If it's regular RG8, or RG213 (the stuff that's 0.405"; just under 1/2 inch) outside diameter), make the coils at least eight inches dia.

This'll keep the cable from deforming internally.

When I got back on the air last spring....all I had left from my old cb days back in the 70s/80s was a brand new box of the RG8....the fat coax.

Captain Kilowatt is correct - since your fundamental signal is causing the problem, no amount of filtering on your end - save turning your radio off - will fix this. You have to eliminate your signal at the neighbor's phone.

Here's what's happening: the wires act as antennas and pick up your 27MHz signal that travels into the electronic appliance, where it encounters the p/n junction of a solid state device. That p/n junction acts like the detector diode in a radio, turning your RF into an audio signal that's amplified right along with the voice/music/sound the electronics were made to reproduce. And that's the big problem, because once it's rectified into audio you can't do anything about it.

It doesn't help that the biggest complainers are usually also the penny pinchers who buy the cheapest crap they can find. And one way manufacturers save cost on bottom of the line junk is by eliminating RF filtering.

Back in the olden days I used to buy .1uf ceramic caps by the bagful and stick them everywhere. Across phone lines, between the mouthpiece screw terminals of old Western Electric 500 phones, across stereo speaker terminals, etc. The whole idea is to give a short circuit to the RF that won't affect the audio frequencies.

I had neighbors who used to bitch about my little 2 watt Midland basically coming through on just about every piece of electrical gear they had. I put caps on all their phones, and 3 caps on their stereo speaker leads (one across the leads and one each to ground). I couldn't do anything about my signal overwhelming the front end of their P.O.S. AM radio the wife listened to in the kitchen as she drank her daily quart of vodka, and ended up just buying her a nicer model so she would stop beating on my door in a drunken rage every day.

I was advised not to go in my neighbors house and install a choke on their phone because if later on down the line their phone was struck by lightning they would lay the blame on me...."That dumb a$$ neighbor put sumthin on our ph that made it get struck by lightning":D

I was advised not to go in my neighbors house and install a choke on their phone because if later on down the line their phone was struck by lightning they would lay the blame on me...."That dumb a$$ neighbor put sumthin on our ph that made it get struck by lightning":D

Depending how reasonable your neighbor is that may be good advice. It's always tricky dealing with neighbors.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated