• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which method is correct ??

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
while looking for very simple less complex way for open clarifier i found these 2 i know about the 1st one but the second one saying D58 ??
Toll-free=The BEST method to rework the clarifier in the 148 is this:
Remove the 8 volt receive wire on the clarifier. This color depends on year / vintage / country, so I can't help you. BUT, it will go to a wire that will have 7.9 or more volts on it IN RECEIVE ONLY!!!! Find a spot on the board that has 8 volts ALL THE TIME.... There is usually a spot near the PLL that is unmasked, but has a hole in it, and just has to have the solder sucked off the mask on the pc board side. Don't go much farther. ONE other thing MUST be done to FINISH the clarifier mod on this chassis:
Clip D52. This disables the TX Freq Set potentiometer (VR5).
Check to make sure "center slot" is still straight up and down. On some chassis IT IS NOT. DON'T WORRY, WE ARE GOING TO FIX IT NOW.
Get an 800 ohm resistor. Solder it from the +8 volts ALL THE TIME to the junction of R174 & D51. This should put your clarifier back at the stock position.
DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE. YOU'RE DONE, IF YOU WANT THE STOCK RANGE AND FEEL OF THE CLARIFIER

robb method=The way I do it is really easy and it allows for VR5 to be adjusted - which is very important in order to keep the radio on freq in SSB mode.
Put D52 and R44 back in. Keep your +8v power (green or white) wire on the '+' end of that 1000uf cap as you have already done. Clip one end of D58. Re-align the first oscillator with your clarifier at the 12 o'clock position and don't forget to adjust VR5 in TX mode. Done.

looking at the schematic there is no D58 on these chassis according to robb cut D58 ???

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?