• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which mobile antenna would you choose for distance?

Which one would you choose for straight talk distance?

• Total voters

Capt Crunch

Captain Crunch NJ Mobile
Nov 3, 2015
New Jersey
www.iamawesome.com
I had a similar post but with a different question. Antenna on Jeeps roof center, Breedlove Puck Mount, LMR400UF Coax. Out of the two, A 5ft Skipshooter or a Predator 10K K-1-17. Which one would you choose for transmit straight talk distance? If you choose to reply please tell why. Please don't reply another antenna including the 108 inch ss whip, I am just asking between these two. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

“Use” of Jeep not stated.

I’ve a collection of Skipshooters in pairs:

5’
6’
7’

That’s probably just above $250 at my cost after shipping, etc. $42/ea, roughly. Primarily for any big truck I’m assigned (and have used all those lengths).

Best big truck performance ever achieved by me was with those 7’.

Expected maximum height is the question we deal with for semi-tractors. Just a little shy of 14’ was best. Five foot antenna minimum, then whatever was needed to get past 13’5” to 14’

I always knew there was no simpler tune & ‘ use top-load antenna (as other brands not in contention, IMO).

That said, my preference is for a metal antenna. Despite corrosion, fragility and replacement cost.

So, it comes back to use: what obstructions are expected? A guy living back East has a lot more problems than he would in Amarillo in this regard.

Can buy 2-3 Skipshooters for the price of a Predator. Nothing against that choice, but, frankly I’d try a SIRIO Performer 5000 before I threw a Predator into the mix. 6’8” tall.

I’ll take tallest over all other considerations as being first. The modular nature of the Predator lends itself to this.

So what budget exists to buy replacement components? A Wilson 5000, I’d have written the same thing. The antenna may be salvageable, so what parts to stock up?

Roof of a Jeep is gonna catch something. 10-11’, maybe not much. 12-13’, have to be much more aware.

Get both.

I had a similar post but with a different question. Antenna would be on a Jeep roof center, Breedlove Puck Mount, LMR400UF Coax. Out of the two, A 5ft Skipshooter or a Predator 10K K-1-17. Which one would you choose for transmit straight talk distance? If you choose to reply please tell why. Please don't reply another antenna including the 108 inch ss whip, I am just asking between these two. Thanks in advance.
A 17" bottom shaft of the Predator in the center of the roof of a Jeep?

I got to agree with top load fiberglass. I all depends on your clearance over head. Go out and pick up a 5 foot Skipshooter and try it out. I'd put a stainless steel pot belly spring at the mount in case you hit an unexpected object. Skipshooters tune very easy. Currently, I am using Firestik antennas as parts of a base antenna. That is only due to local availability. I am also running them uncut. I happened to be lucky, the Firestiks come long and happen to be set OK for my application.

Last edited:
I had a similar post but with a different question. Antenna on Jeeps roof center, Breedlove Puck Mount, LMR400UF Coax. Out of the two, A 5ft Skipshooter or a Predator 10K K-1-17. Which one would you choose for transmit straight talk distance? If you choose to reply please tell why. Please don't reply another antenna including the 108 inch ss whip, I am just asking between these two. Thanks in advance.
Be advised that the diameter of the shafts on the Predator 10K is a "hefty wind catching / and no flexibility" 15/16" diameter. I have one installed on my pick-up with a Breedlove Stake Pocket Mount. The coil is 9"tall. The 9" coil attached to the 17" shaft plus the length of the stinger will surely knock the bees out of the trees.

Seems a bit unfair since the Predator is 77" tall and the Skipshooter is only 60" tall. Now if you were to compare it to a 7' Skipshooter (84") then it would be a more even contest.

You didn't say how much power you are planning on running but the puck mount and LMR coax sounds like it will be more than CB legal. A lot more.

With that in mind, even though the higher up the antenna the loading coil, the more RF is out on the horizon, the additional 17" length of the Predator, higher efficiency of the loading coil, and better power handling will probably give it the edge between the two antennas to a vertically polarized receiving antenna. Also, with more "capture" area, the Predator should "hear" better.

Just my .02

Dr_DX

Seems a bit unfair since the Predator is 77" tall and the Skipshooter is only 60" tall. Now if you were to compare it to a 7' Skipshooter (84") then it would be a more even contest.

You didn't say how much power you are planning on running but the puck mount and LMR coax sounds like it will be more than CB legal. A lot more.

With that in mind, even though the higher up the antenna the loading coil, the more RF is out on the horizon, the additional 17" length of the Predator, higher efficiency of the loading coil, and better power handling will probably give it the edge between the two antennas to a vertically polarized receiving antenna. Also, with more "capture" area, the Predator should "hear" better.

Just my .02

Dr_DX

Thank you for your reply. Carl Built 400HD

Just my .02

Dr_DX
I do have a 6 and 7ft Skipshooter and a 108in whip but I can't use them while driving around here. I was asking because said in research I was reading that said center and base loads radiate different than a top load and they are better for on top of hills or flat plains for local use, hence called the "truckers antenna". I do realize its probably better at receive with all the metal but I question the Predator on transmit distance because what I have read about the way they work.

Reactions: secret squirrel
Just remember the base loads and center loads work well. I have concerns that you may have issues with lack of proper ground plain on a Jeep. I am assuming you are referring to a Jeep Wrangler. I still think you should try the 5 foot fiberglass top load, I think you will have less problems tuning. Just from experience I have found that the top loaded fiberglass more forgiving to lack of proper ground plain. This may be a situation where a Francis 4 or 5 1/2 footer may work well due to the flexibility and continuous wrapped load.

Last edited:
Just remember the base loads and center loads work well. I have concerns that you may have issues with lack of proper ground plain on a Jeep. I am assuming you are referring to a Jeep Wrangler. I still think you should try the 5 foot fiberglass top load, I think you will have less problems tuning. Just from experience I have found that the top loaded fiberglass less forgiving to lack of proper ground plain. This may be a situation where a Francis 4 or 5 1/2 footer may work well due to the flexibility and continuous wrapped load.
Thanks for the reply. I have the antennas I want and my set up is perfectly tuned. I was just asking as the 5ft and the predator k-1-17 are the ones I can drive around with here and want the one that would be best for distance straight talk. Again I read in a few places while researching center and base loads will not get out as far as a top load especially with obstructions and I also tested it and the Predator actually dropped an S unit than the 5ft when I park where the woods were all round me to a base about 8 miles away. Thats why i am here now looking for answers from the "experienced" ones here to get some more input.

Attachments

• 0419191059_HDR.jpg
    0419191059_HDR.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 0606191209_HDR.jpg
    0606191209_HDR.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 0606191219 (2).jpg
    0606191219 (2).jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
...and I also tested it and the Predator actually dropped an S unit than the 5ft when I park where the woods were all round me to a base about 8 miles away. Thats why i am here now looking for answers from the "experienced" ones here to get some more input.

LOL, just proves that Admiral Grace Hopper is correct:

"One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions."

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated