• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Noise Canceling Microphone?

BigT

Apr 29, 2006
Chicago
I have a newer Connex 3300HP with the mosfets. This radio is an absolute audio monster! I am having quite a challenge getting it to sound clear. The stock mic still picks up too much background noise so I am looking at the noise canceling microphones.

I have tried a RK-56 and it helps but I am getting a muffled sound. Nice and deep but not very clear. I can back down my mic gain but I do not like to do that if I can avoid it.

Any ideas about a 636L? It just may be the ticket. Any input? Thanks in advance.

To me a Connex likes an Astatic 636 and a Galaxy likes a Roadking. Dont know why but it works for me.

Have you tried runing the radio with the high/low power switch in high instead of low? Bet i will clear you right up! Lots of swing is worthless if they cant understand you.

KM, thanks for the input. You are correct. It does sound better on high power (DK=41/2 watts). I will try the 636L to see how that compares to the others I have tried. While the RK56 is a great mic it may be a little deep and provide too much swing for this particular radio (monster).

HAVE YOU TRIED THE ASTATIC POWERED NOISE CANCELING MICS? MAYBE ITLL BE TOO MUCH AUDIO.

ASTATIC WOULD BE THE ONLY OTHER CHOICE.

never heard a Turner/Telex Road King 56 sound bad on anything , 636 is OK on most radios as well , Didn't care for the Road Devil (because of the power) . All these mic's are decent , it depends on your voice and your radio , along with how it was tuned ect.ect. My days of power mic's have come and gone in a mobile , I personally do not like hearing back ground modulation. There are even some pretty decent stock mic's that will sound top shelf depending on how the radios have been tuned. oh ,these so called knock off RK-56s out there aren't bad , but I personally don't think they have the drive of the RK-56. I vote RK-56 original , should work well on anything.

King Mudduck said:
4 1/2 on high? Should be tuned to something like 2 or 3 watts in low 10 watts on high.

KM, for some reason this radio was set up with a lower DK for both high and low to match up with an amp. Little chance for having it on high by mistake I guess.

I can always have it changed if necessary, but I seem to do well with it on high (less swing) and keeping the mic gain to no more than 3 O'Clock. I should also look into some extra grounding which may help as well.

Re: swing

351_bear said:
Have you tried backing off the mic a little bit I've done that be fore worked great

You are correct. In addition to turning down the mic gain it seems to help if I do not talk too close to the mic.

Switch Kit said:
never heard a Turner/Telex Road King 56 sound bad on anything , 636 is OK on most radios as well , Didn't care for the Road Devil (because of the power) . All these mic's are decent , it depends on your voice and your radio , along with how it was tuned ect.ect. My days of power mic's have come and gone in a mobile , I personally do not like hearing back ground modulation. There are even some pretty decent stock mic's that will sound top shelf depending on how the radios have been tuned. oh ,these so called knock off RK-56s out there aren't bad , but I personally don't think they have the drive of the RK-56. I vote RK-56 original , should work well on anything.

If you ever hear a RK-56 on a connex 4600 turbo or a Galaxy 95t-2 You would say man that sounds bad. You have to turn down your mic. gain so much it does make sense to have a this noise canceling mic in the first place.

I vote for the astatic 636L best mic for this application.

Clean clear modulation and still can turn your amc wide open.

very few radio can over ride this mic's. noise cancelling abilities but the the two mention above can if you crank them way on up.

I have now had a chance to try them all (636L, RK56, and the new SkyThumper ST-65DX). They are all great micophones! For my radio the 636L wins out. It sounds the best and I can run the mic gain a bit higher. This radio has so much darn audio that even the 636L sounds a bit loud......

4600turbo said:
Switch Kit said:

If you ever hear a RK-56 on a connex 4600 turbo or a Galaxy 95t-2 You would say man that sounds bad. You have to turn down your mic. gain so much it does make sense to have a this noise canceling mic in the first place.

I vote for the astatic 636L best mic for this application.

Clean clear modulation and still can turn your amc wide open.

very few radio can over ride this mic's. noise cancelling abilities but the the two mention above can if you crank them way on up.

Like I said , it would depend on how they were tuned . I personally NEVER need to crank my mic gain up on any radio , but again I say .......How was it tuned in the first place ? Peace

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.