• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which radio

rover1

Aug 8, 2005
thinking of upgrading . to a lincoln or a president george but like to know what the difference is . or would a magnum deltafoce be better i would like your thoughts many thanks rover 1. :?

I haven't used any of those other radios but, have owned two Lincolns. In my opinion( and you know what they say about opinions !) the Lincoln is one of the best entry level HAM radios there is. Good luck with what ever you decide But, if you go with a Lincoln give Doc of Docs electronics a call, he is the best Lincoln Tech out there.( again just my opinion)cdx126

I've not had a George, got rid of a delta force(rx TOO noisy) and currently own a lincoln and 2x2510's. Lincoln is an awesome radio when tuned right, great audio, very easy to use and the bes[t and quietest RX I have ever heard....
and like 'ol 126 said...a doc tune will have ya set!

Rover have you considered a Omega Force?
Fantastic sensitive and quiet receive and big dog audio on AM and SSB and tons of features.

I have run a Delta for 3 years now, exellent radio. They have made major improvements in the receive as of late. That said look at the Omega or S9. If echo is not your thing then look at the Lincoln or 2950DX.

No offence to those S9 users out there but I personally think they are better sideband radios (something about those Magnum radios I don't like ? Take a Lincoln /2950 over any of them. I think they just give the better of the both worlds ....local just got an S9 out my way ....he basically talks on AM CB 99% of the time ......he had been talking on a Galaxy 99 ......the S9 didn't come close to the audio he had on the 99 on the AM side ....When I told him that in as nice of a way that I could .....he got mad or he wasn't happy about it !!! .....but a few others told him as well .....he still stayed pissy about it!! ....it just reminded me of a 400 dollar radio on a 40 dollar frequancy (-: ...in many cases I truly believe that these 10 meter converts were best suited for what they were made to do .....not CB radio !! .....you want to talk tree top tall wall to wall on the CB radio ? .......then get yourself a good CB radio then !!!

There is something wrong with your buddies S-9. My S-9 will put a 99 to shame. I wasnt impressed with it out of the box but I had Justin go through it and it smokes now. The Lincoln/2510 is lacking on am to say the least. The S-9 gives you the best mix of AM and SSB you can get. I also have a 95T and the locals cant tell the differance between it and my Alinco DX-70....Galaxy did a great job with the 95T

I was just fixin o bring up the Galaxy 95t, or even the 93t...I have both, and (IMO) are kick-ass radios! Although I have to admit, they arnt all that good with SSB....May just be mine thou....mind seem's to drift a-bit on SSB...Never had my radios tuned on SSB....But they kick some serious butt on am! :beer

Well you could be right there FDT ? Depends on who had there hands in it maybe ? .....I know where this S9 came from and it was from one of the guys that had some say so in the design of the thing ......and he also knows how to tune a radios ! like I said before ,I don't think my ear hole was lying to me or the others that felt the same way about how he sounded on the AM side. As far as the 2510/Lincoln goes ....The 2510 is one of the loudest (on the AM side) that I have ever heard in my 20 years to this day !! .....so maybe we can just go back to who had there grubby little hads in the things ? ......I suppose guys like what they like weather it's a clipped diode /swing kit /npc /ect.ect.ect. ......Have you ever heard a perfectly tuned radio ? .....IM talking scoped out /100% modulation (no more or less) .it's a very clear telephone like quailty audio ...not punchy,not even slighty over modulated ,there's almost a very mellowness to the sound ....almost a sideband quality sounding audio but on the AM side of things ? .......most cb'ers if they heard it would say turn up that audio to a radio like that !!! You know why ? because i don't think the percentage of cb radio operators would really no the differance from a truly perfectly tuned radio from a radio that has been pumped up to the limits ...face it guys .....most operators want to be loud and proud !!! and I think what has happened over the years is this is what are ear holes are used to hearing day in and day out ...so weather it is right or wrong according to machines ? folks just want what they want. I still think and believe the S9s /Magnums/95Ts/93Ts and a few others are just over priced much a do about nothing radios ...not to mention probmatic in many ways ....(I've seen many of those radios in for repairs over the years (to many)) .....I know I could spend half as much and be more then satisfied with other radios. IM not much for SSB all the same ......but even so , I don't think I would ever have to pay that much to suit my radio operating ego. And this is no offence to anyone who has and loves these radios ....IM just not Impressed with them. SK

There is no reason why you cannot be loud and have the "CB" sound without running a clean station. It is just harder to do and costs more.

In the mean time, 5 cents of parts and a polluted band is what we have.

If I were personally going to run a Magnum. I would have someone like Justin do away with the Topgun stuff. And re engineer the tx and rx circuitry. Then you have a good radio doing power without all the harmonics that they do out of the box.

Switch Kit said:
in many cases I truly believe that these 10 meter converts were best suited for what they were made to do .....not CB radio !! .....you want to talk tree top tall wall to wall on the CB radio ? .......then get yourself a good CB radio then !!!

most '10 meter radios' are useless as a ham radio. the band switch isn't the bad part, the bad part is that they divide the coverage into 40 channel segments on 10 khz spacings. completely useless to me as a ham radio.

the lincoln and 2950 are two that actually tune like a real radio. the lincoln has the best ssb rx i have ever heard from a 10 meter radio in this chassis size but the am receive is not wide enough for me and a little annoying. You can make it sound good enough on AM with just a power mic, i just don't like the am rx, too narrow. it's perfect for ssb though.

You dont think anything could be wrong with that S-9?? There are alot of them out there now and they seem to be holding up well. Hottest radio out right now. They must either be doing something right or there are alot of inexperienced operators spending alot of money on radios.
If done right, ANY radio can sound good. The 95T and the S-9, when done right, sound awsome. I have never recieved a bad report on either one.
I owned and heared 2510s for MANY years and never heard one as loud as my S-9. Justin did the tune up on it so I know it was done right. The Lincoln and 2510 are good sounding radios but are not as loud as a magnum or Galaxy. Its just the way they were designed.

Have you ever heard a perfectly tuned radio ?

Yea, Everyone I own is perfectly tuned.

in many cases I truly believe that these 10 meter converts were best suited for what they were made to do .....not CB radio !! .....you want to talk tree top tall wall to wall on the CB radio ? .......then get yourself a good CB radio then !!!

Try and use a magnum S-3 on 10 meters and let me know how many contacts you make....10 meter radios are NOT marketed to be used on 10 meters....They are cb sets...clear as day. I figured that being a "rookie" for as long as you were you knew most of this stuff already.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.