• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which short mobile 2m/70cm antenna?

KD4UPL

Aug 5, 2012
I need to put a 2m/70cm antenna on the wife's car. It needs to be short and I already have an NMO mount. I'm looking a the Comet SBB-2NMO but it get's rather poor reviews. The SBB-1NMO is flexible. I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I want it to stay vertical at interstate speeds.
The Diamond NR72BNMO is really short and get's good reviews. Does anyone have any experience with this antenna?

The MFJ 1402 seems like it would work and it's cheap but it's an MFJ after all.
I've heard good things about the Austin 500c but it's more expensive than any of these other antennas.

Any experience with these or similar models? I'm all ears.

I used the MFJ antenna for several months, and it worked fine. Mag mount held well, and range was good, especially in UHF bands. Decided to upgrade to another mag mount MFJ for more range with taller antenna.

No personal experience with that diamond antenna but I've seen a few guys around here that use them. That's probably the way I would go if I needed a real small antenna.

The Comet/Maldol B-10NMO worked fine for me. Very stealthy, just 12" high.

B10_NMO.jpg

I can't say anything about that particular Comet antenna, but I do use Comet brand. Most, if not all, of the problems I've had with them have been traced back to something I didn't do 'right', such as a bad connector, etc. I don't have any qualms about using Comet antennas. YMMV naturally...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.