• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who is General?

Watergate

Apr 11, 2011
What's the story with General Radios? Google isn't helping here. Who are they? Are they just a sub brand of another company, or what? They don't have a website that I can find. The radios seem to use common boards, so what makes them different than all the other clones out there?

I've never had any experience with them, but folks seem to like them so I am curious as to what the story is behind the company.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ranger makes them but will not claim them, just like Galaxy will not claim the non DX radios.
They build them to the Specifications of whoever the seller of that brand is.
It has been this way for many years.
Just like way back when the Saturn, Pluto and other radios were being made.

Jeff

I figured Ranger probably built them. They build everything else. I'm just curious about the company itself. Are they a part of Ranger, or just contracting Ranger to build radios.

I've heard of the Lee, and it's yankee twin the Washington. Cbradiomagazine has a review of the Longstreet. I think that's the name of it. What else do they sell?

I see. I just wonder about them and Connex. They seem to be an American company or a Company that is geared towards selling in America, but they don't have a website. I find that a little strange. Even my dishwasher soap has a website. I expect it from the less common Chinese knock off radios, but those two have a decent amount of sales over here compared to say a CRE-8900.

Exports in the states are really illegal cbs so its more of a underground thing word of mouth.Anyone who is into radios will know general.They know that they dont need to advertise it.I have probably been to the galaxy website 1 time but i been to bellscb website 1000.They are not selling something everyone uses.Its a market that is like a cult following.

Anyone who is into radios will know general.

So, name all the radios they have offered. My point being, I have known of the Lee, and I have known that the Washington is the same as the Lee with an American flag. But I don't know what other radios they offer if any.

The Lee/Washington is not the kind of radio I would buy. However, before I joined this site, I learned of a cool radio made by the folks at Ranger called the 2950DX. I found it by going to Ranger's website. Prior to visiting their site I thought Ranger just made radios that I wouldn't be interested in. I went to their site just to see what they had to offer.

I'm a 2510, 2950, 257, Optima type of guy. I have looked at Galaxy's site, and Ranger's and Magnum's and Striker's etc... I like to see what they have to offer. I know I'm not going to find what I like at a Connex or a General web site, however I am "that guy who knows about radios" at the company I work for. I listen to what my coworkers want in a radio then show them some choices on the web. Without fail the one question I always get is "What else do they sell?"

General is owned by a guy who has to be 80. He doesn't nave a web site because he probably never heard of the internet

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah well look along this forum its the retailers that show you whats out there.If i go to rci's site anything they manufacture for radios i can find on copper or any other retailers site.If im looking for marine radios i google that and it brings up the retailers.I go to the company website for schematics and such.

i also like that series of radios i like the 2510 2950 the 257 im into digital radios.Im not the gotta be loud running massive power kinda guy.

The good Galaxy radios like my favorite the Galaxy Pluto and the older Galaxy II Were great when they were impoted from Italy until that do was interfered with from the government. For awhile there was one guy that was still getting them into the states and that to didnt last forever.

I remember working on a Galaxy Saturn Turbo and needed a new frequency display and I called both Galay and RCI in which they BOTH played stupid and pretended they had nothing to do with that Saturn Turbo nor did they have anything to do with it eventhough like I pointed out to them that Galaxy's name was printed on the radio and RCI was printed on the internal circuit boards.

I finally got fed up and just got rid of the radio as is and said fu--kem all!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.