• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who makes this mobile antenna?

They look like 55's Merlin antennas to me.

I have a model somewhere but not on a mobile.

EDIT added model

Attachments

• 55's Merlin Antenna.pdf
    65.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
There is a picture of one some were on the forum, mounted on top of a old long nose conventional If I remember correct.
Eddie he built a base antenna like this too..... Or am I thinking of something else?
Jeff

Jeff, I built a base with the Signal Engineering GR45 and using the bottom of my Marconi 5X. I modeled the Merlin but never owned one. It was taller and the coil was different than the GR45, but they both used a similar idea.

I found both of these top loaded antennas with a coil right below, worked very well in spite of all the contrary claims reported back in the days. Jeff, the picture you noted was called the Immortal and it was a mobile versions with two coils, one in the middle and the other near the top...right below the Top Hat.

I found some old images of the Merlin laying on its side, but the pictures were not very good. All the pictures that Cajun Invader posted are lost links.

upload_2020-3-11_0-47-54.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.