• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why am I getting certificate errors?

Marconi

Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
This just started about two days ago after I installed Windows Defender. Do you think WD is causing this issue to pop up? I have not experienced this on other forums.

Show all
Hide all

About certificate errors

Here are answers to some common questions about certificate errors.

Why do certificate errors occur?

Certificate errors occur when there is a problem with a certificate or the server's use of the certificate. Internet Explorer can help keep your information more secure by warning you about certificate errors.

How do I know there is a certificate error?

Usually, a blocking page will appear that will warn you about the problem with the certificate. If you choose to ignore the error and continue, the Address bar will turn red and the message Certificate Error will appear in the Security Status bar (next to the Address bar).

Can I go to a website that has a certificate warning?

While this is not recommended, you can click Continue to this website (not recommended) on the certificate error blocking page to go to the website. If you ignore the warning page and go to a website that has presented a certificate containing errors, Internet Explorer will remember the certificate while you have your browser open. You can return to the site and will not receive another warning for that certificate until Internet Explorer is restarted. However, you will still see the red address bar and the message Certificate Error in the Security Status bar.

Can I turn off certificate checking?

No, you cannot turn off certificate checking in Internet Explorer. If you are receiving certificate errors, it means the website you are visiting is having certificate problems and it does not indicate a problem with Internet Explorer.

I'm getting errors on websites I always visit, what should I do?

If you encounter a certificate error at a website you have visited before without errors, it's possible the website is not configured correctly. Try retyping the address you are using. For example, if you are typing the address as https://example.com, try changing it to https://www.example.com.
It is also possible that the website's certificate has expired and the owner or operator needs to contact the certification authority to renew the certificate in order to continue using it. This is a website-related problem, and cannot be corrected in Internet Explorer. If you are getting errors on a website you have previously visited successfully, contact the website or webmaster to report the problem.

Is it ever safe to ignore a certificate warning and continue to a website?

A website's certificate provides identification of the web server. If the certificate has an error, it might indicate that your connection has been intercepted or that the web server is misrepresenting its identity.

What about expired certificates? Is it okay to go to a website with an expired certificate?

No, an expired certificate means that the certification authority is no longer reporting on the integrity of the certificate. An expired certificate could be stolen and used by a malicious website.

What do the different certificate errors mean?

The following table contains a list of common certificate errors and information about what they mean.

Error message
What it means
This website’s security certificate has been revoked
Do not trust this website. This error message often indicates that the security certificate was obtained or used fraudulently by the website. The encryption key that is specified in the certificate might have been compromised or the user listed in a certificate does not have authority to use it (for example, the company was sold). The certification authority that issued the certificate keeps a list of revoked certificates and that list is checked by Internet Explorer.
This website’s address does not match the address in the security certificate
This error indicates that a website is using a digital certificate that was issued to a different web address. This error can also occur if a company owns several websites and uses a certificate that was issued for one web address for another site (for example, for a different department or division). This error should only be ignored if you are confident that the site really is related to the website on the certificate.
This website’s security certificate is out of date
This error occurs when the current date is either before or after the time period during which the certificate is valid. Websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current. Outdated certificates can be a security risk. After a certificate expires, the certification authority that issued the certificate is no longer responsible for ensuring that the certificate is not misused.
This website’s security certificate is not from a trusted source
This error occurs when the certificate has been issued by a certification authority that is not recognized by Internet Explorer. It is unlikely that this error will occur on a legitimate business or banking site. Phishing sites often attempt to use fake certificates that will trigger this error.
Internet Explorer has found a problem with this website’s security certificate
This error occurs when Internet Explorer finds a problem with a security certificate that does not fit any other error conditions. The error can potentially occur because a certificate has been corrupted, tampered with, is written in an unknown format, or is unreadable. You should not trust the identity of the site if the certificate has this error.

See also

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.