• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why cut resistors?

2FB327

Oct 31, 2012
I'm starting to go thru my box of donated radios and i'm still in the process of teaching myself repair. Could someone explain to me why on a Cobra 29's they cut out R53, R54?

Yes like everyone else has said they are trying to squeeze a few more watts out of the radio (like when guys jumper out the anti-spinking diode for maybe one more "bird watt".

One of those resistors, I believe is an anti-static resistor; Meaning it dissipates static that comes in to the radio from the antenna.

If you do this mod on a radio with a mosfet you inadvertently increase the chance the final will fail from a static charge.

Just have a look at the schematic, and replace the two resistors (if need be) if you have any issues finding the values let us know.

Best Regards
-Leap
Source?

R53 and R54 are part of the SWR metering circuit, and cutting those resistors would disable that circuit.
why anyone would want to do this is beyond me, but my guess is that it was a mistake.

i guess someone could have gotten the mistaken impression that disabling this circuit would give more power.

more likely is that someone was trying to track down a problem and cut those resistors thinking they were isolating something.

who knows.
LC

I got it wrong, way wrong.

I was looking at the wrong resistors, sorry! :confused:

I'm going to delete the post and hide in a corner.
You can get a small increase from jumping out the diode.
I have heard of R55 I think in the Cobra 29 described as a static discharge resistor.
People would jumper it or pull it out (clip) I forget which, and the resistor # is probably wrong in my mind.

Last edited:
Leapfrog, if you only knew how many posts i have out on the internet that i had to later retract because i was sure i knew something without checking the schematic!

i remember getting into a bit of an argument with a guy who was looking for help with a 29LTD, and he seemed completely inept at finding a simple part, but was telling me that it just wasn't there.
yep, you guessed it. i was looking at the 25LTD schematic for about three days without closing the window or even looking at what it said.
i think i can still taste the crow to this day.
LC

So this is electronic circuits 101 in 2017?
RatsoW8, no just me slipping faster than someone wearing sandles in snow! :sick:
Loosecannon, ExitThirteen, I appreciate the remarks getlemen, I need to verify the "info" I share next time. I don't want to add any mis-information to the hobby.

LC, & Exit thank you for sharing guys, we are all human afterall. :notworthy:
Sorry once again to anyone whom I may have confused with my incorrect post.

Best Regards.

Last edited:
It's funny how some people can be so helpful and other try to be sarcastic, when they could have take the same time to be helpful. I thought I had posted a question in the correct section. Thanks to those that help.

Reactions: Robb
Hopefully you didn't take my one line response sarcastically.

There was a time I would jump, remove or solder a cap across anything near the final trying to get more watts.

Reactions: LeapFrog
It's funny how some people can be so helpful and other try to be sarcastic, when they could have take the same time to be helpful. I thought I had posted a question in the correct section. Thanks to those that help.
Some times we are laughing at ourselves and our own learning experience. I know I do all the time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.