• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why did Uniden Quit

9c1driver you may be correct that RCI has used Uniden as a template or platform for their radio, but like anything else they have made some very good improvements on the product and from what I can tell they are the best platform for ssb if you are a serious ssb user. As far as the cost and 10m you are correct RON103067 except the Uniden was originally a $200-220 radio and quite expensive for its time and still commands a decent price now, where as you can get a 2950 or 2970 for $180-$250 used. If you want to compare apples to apples then look at some of the lower Ranger line like SS-158 or the even the TR-696,966. These are all around $200 and are very good performers. I was just saying that you believed that Uniden makes the best and they do make a good product, but Ranger has bought up and consolidated technologies from all the best cb makers over the past 30 yrs and have used some of the ideas from Uniden and have made great improvements on them. RCI as a whole makes a well built quality product even today where Uniden made there products in the Philippines and are some of the best ever made. But just like everyone else they have moved their production to China to cut costs and some of quality is not there today; where as RCI for the most part still makes it in Malaysia and does a good quality job. I think that was more than 2 cents worth sorry.

i hope i dont offend anyone with this sorry if i do. but i believe the radio manufactures
and other cb related manufactures are gearing just about everything for the
truck drivers out there that only use am.theres a few newer mics out that are
noice cancelling types and while we may use these types.the truck drivers will
outnumber the hobbist that uses these types of mics.same with radios most truckers
only buy am radios.same reason why uniden stop making the washington the average
truck drivers outnumber the radio hobbist.and thier gearing most of the stuff for them
just my opinion here nothing at all against the truck drivers not thier fault.i just have
3 close friends that are otr truckers and all 3 am only.1 has been on radio 15 yrs
never had a ssb radio.

Hotrod that is exactly right. Coming back to the original reason Uniden got out of the business of making the sideband radio is the fact they were making a high quality product with some expensive quality control costs in the Philippines and was making a radio really only for a more serious cb or ham operator. The only reason truck drivers bought their radios was for the power and quality of the am side, and their were not enough units being sold between the hobbyist and truckers to keep up with cost. Uniden made a few different version under just a few nameplates and did a great job; whereas today RCI is producing radios under 7-8 nameplates and several different models and all are very good quality. This the reason I said I would have to disagree about who makes some of the best ssb radios.

9c1driver you may be correct that RCI has used Uniden as a template or platform for their radio, but like anything else they have made some very good improvements on the product and from what I can tell they are the best platform for ssb if you are a serious ssb user. As far as the cost and 10m you are correct RON103067 except the Uniden was originally a $200-220 radio and quite expensive for its time and still commands a decent price now, where as you can get a 2950 or 2970 for $180-$250 used. If you want to compare apples to apples then look at some of the lower Ranger line like SS-158 or the even the TR-696,966. These are all around $200 and are very good performers. I was just saying that you believed that Uniden makes the best and they do make a good product, but Ranger has bought up and consolidated technologies from all the best cb makers over the past 30 yrs and have used some of the ideas from Uniden and have made great improvements on them. RCI as a whole makes a well built quality product even today where Uniden made there products in the Philippines and are some of the best ever made. But just like everyone else they have moved their production to China to cut costs and some of quality is not there today; where as RCI for the most part still makes it in Malaysia and does a good quality job. I think that was more than 2 cents worth sorry.

Cityboy not to try and disrespect you I bought my radio in the mid nineties at a truck stop payed 179.99 full price no sale at the pilot truck stop outside of Detroit Mi. If they where that price at a truck stop you could find them cheaper. No I know there are better rigs out there. What I was trying to get across is back at that time there where alot fewer radios that could compare with this radio. If that was not the case this radio would not be so highly respected and sought after with a high price used as it is today. I don't believe that I've seen another radio except the 2950 that pulls the premium these radios do. Back then a cobra 29 ltd was like 129.99 at that same pilot truck stop. The cobras back then pulled a higher price than the unidens cause they where not as well known so a 148 probably went for close to $200 if I remember right that is why I bought my Uniden cause it was alot cheaper than the Cobra. Kind of like today you can get a Uniden cheaper than a Cobra just cause of the name. I'm sure Ranger has some really awesome radios I've never had one so I can't comment on them. All I was saying is if Uniden had one of the best ssb radios 30 years ago how come they just stopped building them.

i hope i dont offend anyone with this sorry if i do. but i believe the radio manufactures
and other cb related manufactures are gearing just about everything for the
truck drivers out there that only use am.theres a few newer mics out that are
noice cancelling types and while we may use these types.the truck drivers will
outnumber the hobbist that uses these types of mics.same with radios most truckers
only buy am radios.same reason why uniden stop making the washington the average
truck drivers outnumber the radio hobbist.and thier gearing most of the stuff for them
just my opinion here nothing at all against the truck drivers not thier fault.i just have
3 close friends that are otr truckers and all 3 am only.1 has been on radio 15 yrs
never had a ssb radio.

Exactly, just look at hand mics vs Base mics. It is the Truck drivers that keep the CB going.

so since we have some folks here who know about those old radios how does the new cobra 148 compare to them . some folks say they are very similar in performance or the same . others give the impression its like comparing a pinto to a bently . whats the real deal on say the current 148 and the rci's , galaxy 959/979 compared to these old school legends ?

unless theres a newer 148GTL IM not aware of ? They left major parts out !! which in turn makes them very unstable SSB'ers . I personally don't care where they were made as long as they are 5 pin sided mic jacks , they are good radios , R.O.C. Tiwan / Hong Kong / Phillipines / Malasia are all good 148s . I don't care if there NW/nwst/or just regular GTL's nowadays. COBRA RADIOS & MODIFICATIONS

Switch, the soundtracker 148's were not great either. One of the more glarring problems was voltage regulator in those. As soon as you tuned the radio it could not keep upon SSB. I would skip anything that says Soundcrapper unless youget a great deal. You sell great stuff here Switch, never seen a used Soundcrapper sell fast or for decent bucks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.