• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why does he load 980 Bearcat video's? Is this a paid service?

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
Does he make these because the customer pays for a video or is this some attempt at advertising? Why would a customer pay for a video of their unit? I have never done business with him so just trying to understand the nature of some of the more repetitive video's of mod's or alignment's of new virgin radio's? Not meant to start a flame war about this guy or his work!!! I ask because while I can see why some would like to see this for a nice vintage SSB rig like a Cobra 148 but does anyone really care about the 980 Bearcat? I thought the jury had already ruled that these where terrible radio's with lots of noise, poor channel rejection, poor sensitivity and no chance of being modified in a meaningful way or for free banding? I have heard they are stable on SSB though so some redemption.

The 980 isn't a bad radio, if you just want the basic CB channels, and SSB.

There are a few things that are minor annoyances (the volume and squelch knobs, for example, turn too freely. And the display could be brighter.), but overall, it's a decent radio. Mine is actually fully stock, never been touched, inside, since leaving the factory. I run it through an RM amp, similar to that shown in the video. I talk to those who I need to talk to, and some that I don't. They all hear me clearly.

Surely, I won't be stepping all over everyone within a hundred miles of me, with that setup, but then, that's not what I'm looking to do, anyway.

As to the point of the video... I don't know. I watched the whole thing, and got zero useful info out of it. It was pretty pointless, and it made my wife complain about how obnoxious the audio tests were.

I suppose that it was made to offer some proof of work to the purchasing customer. The customer, really, is the only one that could really get anything out of it.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
The videos are free and for the customer. He does them to show the work he's charging for and so the customer can see the process. Personally, I think it's a great idea.

I actually like watching them. Yeah, production is amateur, but he's a radio tech and not a photographer. I might also be used to the motion thing because my grandfather, who recorded lots of memories on his camcorder, had the same filming technique. lol

Despite all the shit talked about him here I ordered a new 980 from him because I like that he's so thorough and does the videos for his builds. If he hadn't had the 980 vids on YouTube I'd have gone elsewhere. I'm anxious to see how it performs.

what few shops that do this show the radio before the mods and then after. it will show improvements in the radios TX and RX as he does the work. a couple guys I know that do this use to put the purchasers name on the video as he was working on it. just like AdrewGS is ordering one just from what he saw in the videos. for some it is a good selling point.

Must resist . . . can not say anything . . . bite my tongue . . . keep a lid on it . . . stifle it . . . arrrgh . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . arrrgh . . .

He replaces the electrolytic caps in a brand spankin' new - never used - radio?!?
Wha?????

I do pity those who get work done by this guy.

This guy can sell coal to a coal miner . . . lol . . .

Last edited:
you think he could get a place of his own.
instead of freeloading at his sisters house.
with the crazy amount he charges. im sure he could get a place of his own.

Ok that makes more sense I guess. I was wondering why he did so many video's on the 980 and does not even talk about what he is doing so figured it could not be a how to. None of my SSB radio's have channels added or a stinger inside they are all rather plain. I do unlock the RIT and recap them due to old age. They have lots of crystal filtering where it counts so the receive is good and they are fairly quite. Price wise it is far cheaper to buy a black box radio to get more channels than it is to add boards and such to a CB. If you can do the work yourself than it makes sense but if you pay someone to do it it get's crazy expensive and you do not get much return for the investment compared to just buying a black box radio.

I am all for recapping old caps but it does seem a waste to replace brand new caps. I am sure it was some hifi type mod would be my guess.

I am not some power station at all I can talk to the world on 200 watts rms. If that is not enough than it is time to get on the internet or pick up a cell phone! LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.