• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why people are not using FM on CB in States?

I personally believe, with my admitted limited knowledge on AM/FM CB usage, that there will be almost zero benefit to using FM because of my previously mentioned experience. If half the people go to FM, 1/4 stays AM and the other 1/4 goes SSB on say CH 38, that channel will be totally unusable to everyone at DXing distances.
Well, CB was intended for short range local communications anyway. Maybe, us local talkers will take over again!

Reactions: WECSOG
A friend of mine got a new radio and we were talking back and forth for about 5 minutes at about a mile apart before I realized I was on FM and he was on AM. We had zero problems talking to each other.
He is a funny story from a inexperienced operator such as myself. Last spring when President Radio was giving a rebate of something like $15- $ 20.00 on the new Thomas with FM to get you to buy one I bought one from Walcott Radio to try it out. Seeing there is no real CB traffic here in the sticks, I took the Thomas to Scranton PA which is 26 miles south of me to try FM out. Well I searched and couldn't really hear much on FM and was getting disenchanted with the Thomas until I found 2 people talking on channel 32 but they sounded like they were distant. After listening for a bit I switched the radio to AM and low & behold there they were Load and Proud so it taught me a lesson. LOL

When I got Home i took the Thomas radio out of the car and it just sets in the radio room ever since. Really glad there was the rebate on it. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.