• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why replace electrolytics with tantalum in Hi-Fi Mod?

The reason for Tantalum, you can get a larger cap in a smaller package...... Nothing more....... ESR and 50v rating are a bonus but not necessary.

Thanks for the info. I am going to try the same mod but with Wima film caps in place of Tantalum I just do not trust a Tant' cap that is not higher voltage than what is in the radio currently. Plus the Tant's ar crazy expensive. I have just seen too many Tant' caps fail in rf applications when run near their rated values. Also I have seen Tant's scorch the heck out of a baord and truly burn like a match!

Reactions: JoeDirt
Matter of fact, I had to replace a tantalum cap today in a local op's radio. A Ranger/Freedom One, which uses the same board as a Galaxy 959. The audio had fallen way down in output level.

Checked the tantalum from that circuit on a ESR tester. This 2.2uF/16v cap showed a series resistance on 10+ ohms. Waaay too high. Also upgraded it to a 25v, since 16v is too small. That, and that is the only voltage I had in that value - lol. Also had to replace the TA7222AP audio amp.

Short a tantalum once or twice, and they cannot be trusted to continue working. Fussy and expensive, they are designed in and one of the first area I will look at in a circuit if there is one in it. Ounce of prevention, and sometimes the cure . . .

Kemet and Miltary on Deratting Tantalums!!! Why??? The Miltary loves them but they are very demanding on how they are used.

http://www.kemet.com/Lists/filestore/Derating Guidelings for Tantalum 2011 (3).pdf

So in my case the radio circuit in question currently has a 50V .22uf lytic. The modification calls for 16V 2.2uf. Now if I could find a radial 2.2uf Tantalum new current production that was at least 75V, 80V or 100V I would feel safe using a Tant' in the circuit. I a real fanatic about durability and reliability. If a modification will hurt the reliability or durability of the radio I will not do it. So I am going to try WIma film cap in it first. I have plenty of audiophile grade lytics as well from Nichicon, Panisonic, Elna etc...

What I really need is a box that would allow me to try different cap values quickly to shift my 6db down point to where it sounds best for my voice and I could use a scope and spectrum analyzer. LOL I do not use either enough to justify the cost just for the hobby! LOL I have one kid at University and 2 that are only 3 years away from University! The wife would shoot me if I told her a Scope and Spectrum Analyzer just followed me home! Granted both are cheaper than a mistress!! LOL

Reactions: LeapFrog
I'm not butt hurt...you should be ...all of us 'audiofool' looked at your stupid post and laught at your ignorance HAHAHAH on you A$$wipe!!

Oh garth, capt pico watt ....

time for you to be real..

Have you ever on a board asked for help without first searching or were you eyeballs ready to fall out from being lazy? Answer carefully cache might be avaliable??? Have you ever told a 'board" that your not an engineer but tech? Careful, your walking a Clinton line,.

gosh on all the real ham boards... you sound like a little bitch...cant find a wire to hook up a vfo, dont know how to make that RCA transmitter TX on 80M Dip ship...your really nice to people who know more than you. ( My IT team found all your bendover posts) Thats why you called yourself a broadcast technician not less than a few years ago. So what are you a tech, engineer or in the manufacturing business? W9wdx has an xls file hanging out on the inet surly a mis-configured server ...serving up personal info...may sites do from lack of a real Admin. careful your born in 67 so quick and simple arthritic can get ya! Posting tha XLS file might not be good for you.

dont u hate it when other web sites are not familiar with how to protect user identity where you have put your information? dont b stupid ( i know u r but cmon, you took the ham test right...now you are a know it all. ) a$$wipe.

Have you ever asked for help on your TS-850 with out proper research? so many posts for "how to" posted by u ....question for you...have you been telling people to search..the answer is out there. but fail to do the same...hypocrite .okay NEO ..dumbass

So tell us a$$wipe, and B REAL - no BS are you a poser? Careful what you answer, google cache holds alot. I said I dont know much about radio but I never said I didnt know anything about the TCP/IP Protocol.. do you even know what that means?

Dumba$$, garth don't post pics of your lame station and outside antenna if you dont want someone to find you...dip$shit..so simple to find

Even though you think you have the advantage because of server logs...you don'..plain and simple garth...wake up and smell the bits...a$$wipe I dont need an IP to find u.

As far as my internet connection...Why the FXXX would I put my real IP out there..for dickheads like you to look at server logs? dumba$$ you know nothing about the internet...god ur dumb...wanna challenge me on that...I have all ur postings on the yahoo group, eham and others pleading for help, like a little bitch.,,
Including the tiff your in with other jamming hams..you got burnt there too...hahahhahahah,

The Admin,.....ohhhhh my god ...your a legend in your own mind...a$$wipe...stupid, dumb and you cant find me but I found you....duh..now you know the reason for VPN..stops d-bags like you. Incidentally yahoo posted your IP address and your host name + emaill address. xxxx@vac.ca. and xxxxxx@yahoo,.com Let me clue u lookup reverse "A" records. yeaa your stupid windows machine is incapable. Stupid fxxx. Call the xxx it a professional courtesy Next time its all out there.

You, ve1XXX are a TOTAL POSER...careful on you response..you might find I can do what I said I can, roll the dice on that one, captn Picowatt

BTW the total value of your home isn't even for a down payment on my house even if you had a credit score of 750+...which sadly, gordon you don't Guess the broadcast tech didnt pay that much.

Curiously thou whats it like to be the Admin (WTF ever does that mean?) of a loosing board where hams don't even take you seriously? Gotta suck. the Admin...fxxx me running wow I didnt know I was talking with a dipship admin.....OH PLEASE....faxxot. "gg" ..faggot

Next, I encourage everyone to run a form of ad blocker (worldwidedx.com is java based so easy to defeat) , so you don't have to look at stupid ads which the board gets paid on. But they also track how many users have Java (whats used to deliver ads to you) and how many browsers rejected the request...unless you like being tracked dont accept the adds so dipship doesn't get paid.....unfortunately for gordon his advertisers will not pay premium for a large amount of returned errors.

I have two words for you, gordon, and it 'aint' happy birthday. A$$Wipe

GFYS -- think hard gordon, go Fxxx yourself

You voice sounds like your so OLD your ready for diapers...again., The ice cracking behind your 93,000- dollar piece of shit house sounds better than your voice.

Oh god ...Captn Pico watt...grow up

Now, tell all everything you know about me

hahahahaha, superbig HAHAHAHAHA - do you even want to know how many of us 'audio-fools" laughed at your ignorant statements? One even ventured to say that you have a small pee-pee and that was from a chick..ouch dude you got schooled

Have a $hitty day, a$$wipe

Capt' what type of weird perverse stuff are you into.....LOL....butt hurt.....LOL......

Good grief we all had to be broadcast engineer or even have degree's in electrical engineering to be on this site it would be a very very dull, boring and almost worthless site! LOL

If I was not so stupid and uneducated but learning with regards to electronics I would not be on this site asking the real experts!!! LOL I ams ure this applies to most of us.

You can be book smart. You can have professional experience in a field. You can also be dumber than dirt but stumble upon what works through trial and error. Either way all of the above can short cut the process for those at the bottom or just getting started.

onelasttime,

If you can hear the effects of a film cap vs others of the same value ( in blind listening tests ) in your home stereo you will likely be able to hear a cb or mic amp using cheap film caps such as wima polypropylene vs a stock cb or mic amplifier that has electrolytics in the signal path,

imho going for anything better than wima in a cb is a waste of money unless you have money to burn or have surplus caps from hifi projects,

its probably a waste of money filling the radio with black gates or any lesser audio grade electrolytics from a sonic perspective but theres no harm in using better quality longer lasting caps than found in cb's, solid electrolytics last much longer than wet caps,

never tried ultracaps,
i have used

wima in cb hf radios mics & homebrew speech processors many times,

jelmax black gate electron transfer
DNM slit foil,
iar wonder cap,
Mundorf M-CAP
V-cap CuTF
Elna cerafine,
Elna silmic
Elna silmic 2

various brands of audio grade & motor run polycaps & russian teflon film caps
panasonic and other brand electrolytics,

they all have their own sonic character.

My Dad was an audiophile but his hearing is not what it used to be. Between 20 years in the Army and driving Tractor Trailer after he retired his hear is not as it once was. That said the Miltary used to have a HUGE audiophile population. The combination of low markup on high end gear froma round the world for them plus easy credit for the gear combined to make a ready market. I learned what wow and flutter where in 1979 at the age of 6 in Wiesbaden Germany! LOL Combine that with being a musician since 1985 and yes I can hear and discern more than most. I do not expect that level of sound quality on CB radio. I just figure since I am working these radio's recapping any ways if a few substituitons hear and there will make a noticable difference to some why not give it a try. The worst thing that can happen is I spend an extra $4 per radio while recapping them!

The WIMA caps I am buying specifically for the radio's because most of the high end caps in my audio projects are axial not radial. The radial caps I do have left over from audio projects tend to be rather large on lead spacing like 5mm or larger and a lot of the caps I want to specificly play with for enhanced audio in the radio I am working on now are 2mm so I ordered some 2.5mm Wima's the other day. I hate trying to make a 5mm or larger cap fit in a 2mm spaced pad.

The President Lincoln has 5Mhz filtering for enhanced AM compared to 3Mhz on the Radio Shack HTX100 which is SSB and CW only. I am more concerned with getting some extra high freq. in my audio and smoothing it out a bit. I am not a hifi direct inject NAZI like some people. I just want a modest improvement if a modest improvement can be made simply and cheaply.

Between work and my 3 kids I have not had the time to do any extra work.

I am 43 now and to be honest I really do not want to buy any new CB or Export radio's or any new audio amplifiers or gear. So I am recapping my old gear and any NOS gear I have bought in the last year. I sold almost everything I ever owned trying to pay lawyer fee's try to save my home. I sold all my rifles, radio's and audio gear. The only things I still ahve are those things that ended up in my Mom and Dad's attic when I went off to college. So I recently discovered in their attic little more than a year ago my Carver Tuner/Pre Amp, 2x Carver TFM-15 and Carver 1.5t Amp. After 15 year in her un heated attic crawl space I think a good recap will buy me another 20 year or more!! LOL So I had a bunch of Nichicon, Panasonic, Elna Caps left over from the amp's. I need to do the Tuner/Pre yet.

Most of the cap's I did not already have on hand left over I actually did not bother with audio grade caps for CB's. The ones I specifically bought for rf where general purpose 3000,5000 hour 105°C caps. Being frugal if I already had surplus audio grade caps on hand I used those even though most of them are 85° 1000/2000 hour rated caps they have to be better than the 20-40 year old caps in my 5 CB/Export radio's!

I also have some old tube amps I am working on and some new transistor amps I am building. So I am up to my eye balls in caps, transformers and other parts!

If I can make the time I am thinking about getting my amateur license this winter. I would prefer to recondition what I have for 11m and only buy new gear for amateur use. I have even considered the idea of converting a CB for 12m use.

Capt' what type of weird perverse stuff are you into.....LOL....butt hurt.....LOL......
It's a modern way the younger crowd says: "you got your feelings hurt"; but to actually say the word "feelings" requires too much empathy nowadays, so we here sayings like "butt hurt", "retard", & "fag" directed towards someone if they are emotional & or awkward around the wrong crowd (God forbid we all be different).

Good grief we all had to be broadcast engineer or even have degree's in electrical engineering to be on this site it would be a very very dull, boring and almost worthless site! LOL

If I was not so stupid and uneducated but learning with regards to electronics I would not be on this site asking the real experts!!! LOL I ams ure this applies to most of us.

You can be book smart. You can have professional experience in a field. You can also be dumber than dirt but stumble upon what works through trial and error. Either way all of the above can short cut the process for those at the bottom or just getting started.

Don't go there. The offending posts and the offender that blew a gasket and went ape-shit here has been dealt with and you don't see what precipitated that comment. It is water under the bridge and shall stay that way.

I was joking CK.....Wow!!! I am sorry if you took me so seriously. I was trying to make people laugh a bit and shake their heads!!! LOL

I do not take things that seriously... In fact until veins are sticking out of my head and I turn read most things I try to laugh at!!!

I like to think we are all sitting around the fire in posh comfy chairs sipping scotch, bourbon, whisky, moonshine etc.... just talk among friends so even when religion or politics comes up and tempers flair it is over fast like 30 seconds and we are all back laughing again....

I guess I missed him going "ape-shit".... I tend not to like searing or alluding to swearing on the internet or on the radio.

Sorry if you took me so seriously I assure you I am ok with you!!! Now smile and lets get back to the fire and sipping some poison!!! LOL

God Bless!-John

Reactions: 543_Dallas
Don't go there. The offending posts and the offender that blew a gasket and went ape-shit here has been dealt with and you don't see what precipitated that comment. It is water under the bridge and shall stay that way.

I was joking CK.....Wow!!! I am sorry if you took me so seriously. I was trying to make people laugh a bit and shake their heads!!! LOL

I do not take things that seriously... In fact until veins are sticking out of my head and I turn read most things I try to laugh at!!!

laugh we should all be friends in the hobby. We are all men here right so we should blow up like a volcanoes maybe even punch each other then a few minutes later we buy each other a beer and laugh!!! We are men after all not women! We should not give each other the silent treatment or stay pissed for 3 days to 3 weeks! LOL

laugh we should all be friends in the hobby. We are all men here right so we should blow up like a volcanoes maybe even punch each other then a few minutes later we buy each other a beer and laugh!!! We are men after all not women! We should not give each other the silent treatment or stay pissed for 3 days to 3 weeks! LOL

I agree however statements made in a joking manner rarely appear that way in print. If one could actually hear the tonal expressions that go along with those statements things take on a whole new meaning. Just like the way I made my comment above. :D

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.