• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why replace electrolytics with tantalum in Hi-Fi Mod?

That GoldFinger guy has posted receive mods as well, one thing I can tell you though is that with a stock am only CB radio like a Cobra 25/29 you can hear the difference without doing anything to the radio....

Reactions: Sonar
All this talk about hi-fi cb is just that...TALK. Sure, you can modify a modulator to produce a more natural sounding frequency response. And ... you can open up the bandwidth to get that "hi-fi" sound. But ........ who is ever going to hear it ?? The majority of cb receivers are so bandwidth restricted by their filtering and diode detectors that any audio improvements can't be heard anyway. So, what are these improvements worth if no one can hear them ????
If "audiophiles" can post mods that make a CB transmit HI-FI audio, why don't they post receiver mods that would allow listeners to hear them ???

Sorry, but I use CB radio to communicate. I could care less whether my voice sounds natural or not. All I care about is that the listener understands EVERYTHING I'm saying. To me, this hi-fi stuff is just a total waste of time.

Don't waste your time with it then.

Oh look.....another newbie that just joined up and got all butt hurt because he saw someone on the internet post something he does not agree with and decided the best course of action was to insult the admin that posted it.
I'm not butt hurt...you should be ...all of us 'audiofool' looked at your stupid post and laught at your ignorance HAHAHAH on you A$$wipe!!

Oh garth, capt pico watt ....

I worked under someone who was arguably the best audio/RF engineer east of Toronto and he would say the same thing I had to say about oxygen free cable and gold plated AC outlets

time for you to be real..

Have you ever on a board asked for help without first searching or were you eyeballs ready to fall out from being lazy? Answer carefully cache might be avaliable??? Have you ever told a 'board" that your not an engineer but tech? Careful, your walking a Clinton line,.

gosh on all the real ham boards... you sound like a little bitch...cant find a wire to hook up a vfo, dont know how to make that RCA transmitter TX on 80M Dip ship...your really nice to people who know more than you. ( My IT team found all your bendover posts) Thats why you called yourself a broadcast technician not less than a few years ago. So what are you a tech, engineer or in the manufacturing business? W9wdx has an xls file hanging out on the inet surly a mis-configured server ...serving up personal info...may sites do from lack of a real Admin. careful your born in 67 so quick and simple arthritic can get ya! Posting tha XLS file might not be good for you.

dont u hate it when other web sites are not familiar with how to protect user identity where you have put your information? dont b stupid ( i know u r but cmon, you took the ham test right...now you are a know it all. ) a$$wipe.

Have you ever asked for help on your TS-850 with out proper research? so many posts for "how to" posted by u ....question for you...have you been telling people to search..the answer is out there. but fail to do the same...hypocrite .okay NEO ..dumbass

So tell us a$$wipe, and B REAL - no BS are you a poser? Careful what you answer, google cache holds alot. I said I dont know much about radio but I never said I didnt know anything about the TCP/IP Protocol.. do you even know what that means?

Dumba$$, garth don't post pics of your lame station and outside antenna if you dont want someone to find you...dip$shit..so simple to find

Even though you think you have the advantage because of server logs...you don'..plain and simple garth...wake up and smell the bits...a$$wipe I dont need an IP to find u.

As far as my internet connection...Why the FXXX would I put my real IP out there..for dickheads like you to look at server logs? dumba$$ you know nothing about the internet...god ur dumb...wanna challenge me on that...I have all ur postings on the yahoo group, eham and others pleading for help, like a little bitch.,,
Including the tiff your in with other jamming hams..you got burnt there too...hahahhahahah,

The Admin,.....ohhhhh my god ...your a legend in your own mind...a$$wipe...stupid, dumb and you cant find me but I found you....duh..now you know the reason for VPN..stops d-bags like you. Incidentally yahoo posted your IP address and your host name + emaill address. xxxx@vac.ca. and xxxxxx@yahoo,.com Let me clue u lookup reverse "A" records. yeaa your stupid windows machine is incapable. Stupid fxxx. Call the xxx it a professional courtesy Next time its all out there.

You, ve1XXX are a TOTAL POSER...careful on you response..you might find I can do what I said I can, roll the dice on that one, captn Picowatt

BTW the total value of your home isn't even for a down payment on my house even if you had a credit score of 750+...which sadly, gordon you don't Guess the broadcast tech didnt pay that much.

Curiously thou whats it like to be the Admin (WTF ever does that mean?) of a loosing board where hams don't even take you seriously? Gotta suck. the Admin...fxxx me running wow I didnt know I was talking with a dipship admin.....OH PLEASE....faxxot. "gg" ..faggot

Next, I encourage everyone to run a form of ad blocker (worldwidedx.com is java based so easy to defeat) , so you don't have to look at stupid ads which the board gets paid on. But they also track how many users have Java (whats used to deliver ads to you) and how many browsers rejected the request...unless you like being tracked dont accept the adds so dipship doesn't get paid.....unfortunately for gordon his advertisers will not pay premium for a large amount of returned errors.

I have two words for you, gordon, and it 'aint' happy birthday. A$$Wipe

GFYS -- think hard gordon, go Fxxx yourself

You voice sounds like your so OLD your ready for diapers...again., The ice cracking behind your 93,000- dollar piece of shit house sounds better than your voice.

Oh god ...Captn Pico watt...grow up

Now, tell all everything you know about me

hahahahaha, superbig HAHAHAHAHA - do you even want to know how many of us 'audio-fools" laughed at your ignorant statements? One even ventured to say that you have a small pee-pee and that was from a chick..ouch dude you got schooled

Have a $hitty day, a$$wipe

Last edited:
I will keep my head down for now,:eek:

i build my own cables,
i don't use any shielded or stranded cables and have not for over 30 years when i gave away all my stranded & shielded crap,

my ears think "Black Gate" are the best sounding reservoir caps money can buy
& V-Cap CuTF are the best sounding coupling caps i ever used,

ears are no different to other senses,
we are not all wired up the same, don't have an equal umber of receptors and don't use the same ammount of gray matter to process the info,
look up

"super tasters" & "super smellers",

if you can't hear the difference your lucky and better off financially,
unless you make bets that your buddy can't hear monster cable from good cable in a blind test,
then once he's got you confused 10x out of 10 he goes on to reliably identify which way round the cable is facing and blows your mind.

god forbid that while testing your buddy you start to notice small but perceptable changes that makes you think HUH and realise that everything you thought you knew about electricity passing along wires is wrong.

I'm not butt hurt...you should be ...all of us 'audiofool' looked at your stupid post and laught at your ignorance HAHAHAH on you A$$wipe!!

Oh garth, capt pico watt ....

time for you to be real..

Have you ever on a board asked for help without first searching or were you eyeballs ready to fall out from being lazy? Answer carefully cache might be avaliable??? Have you ever told a 'board" that your not an engineer but tech? Careful, your walking a Clinton line,.

gosh on all the real ham boards... you sound like a little bitch...cant find a wire to hook up a vfo, dont know how to make that RCA transmitter TX on 80M Dip ship...your really nice to people who know more than you. ( My IT team found all your bendover posts) Thats why you called yourself a broadcast technician not less than a few years ago. So what are you a tech, engineer or in the manufacturing business? W9wdx has an xls file hanging out on the inet surly a mis-configured server ...serving up personal info...may sites do from lack of a real Admin. careful your born in 67 so quick and simple arthritic can get ya! Posting tha XLS file might not be good for you.

dont u hate it when other web sites are not familiar with how to protect user identity where you have put your information? dont b stupid ( i know u r but cmon, you took the ham test right...now you are a know it all. ) a$$wipe.

Have you ever asked for help on your TS-850 with out proper research? so many posts for "how to" posted by u ....question for you...have you been telling people to search..the answer is out there. but fail to do the same...hypocrite .okay NEO ..dumbass

So tell us a$$wipe, and B REAL - no BS are you a poser? Careful what you answer, google cache holds alot. I said I dont know much about radio but I never said I didnt know anything about the TCP/IP Protocol.. do you even know what that means?

Dumba$$, garth don't post pics of your lame station and outside antenna if you dont want someone to find you...dip$shit..so simple to find

Even though you think you have the advantage because of server logs...you don'..plain and simple garth...wake up and smell the bits...a$$wipe I dont need an IP to find u.

As far as my internet connection...Why the FXXX would I put my real IP out there..for dickheads like you to look at server logs? dumba$$ you know nothing about the internet...god ur dumb...wanna challenge me on that...I have all ur postings on the yahoo group, eham and others pleading for help, like a little bitch.,,
Including the tiff your in with other jamming hams..you got burnt there too...hahahhahahah,

The Admin,.....ohhhhh my god ...your a legend in your own mind...a$$wipe...stupid, dumb and you cant find me but I found you....duh..now you know the reason for VPN..stops d-bags like you. Incidentally yahoo posted your IP address and your host name + emaill address. xxxx@vac.ca. and xxxxxx@yahoo,.com Let me clue u lookup reverse "A" records. yeaa your stupid windows machine is incapable. Stupid fxxx. Call the xxx it a professional courtesy Next time its all out there.

You, ve1XXX are a TOTAL POSER...careful on you response..you might find I can do what I said I can, roll the dice on that one, captn Picowatt

BTW the total value of your home isn't even for a down payment on my house even if you had a credit score of 750+...which sadly, gordon you don't Guess the broadcast tech didnt pay that much.

Curiously thou whats it like to be the Admin (WTF ever does that mean?) of a loosing board where hams don't even take you seriously? Gotta suck. the Admin...fxxx me running wow I didnt know I was talking with a dipship admin.....OH PLEASE....faxxot. "gg" ..faggot

Next, I encourage everyone to run a form of ad blocker (worldwidedx.com is java based so easy to defeat) , so you don't have to look at stupid ads which the board gets paid on. But they also track how many users have Java (whats used to deliver ads to you) and how many browsers rejected the request...unless you like being tracked dont accept the adds so dipship doesn't get paid.....unfortunately for gordon his advertisers will not pay premium for a large amount of returned errors.

I have two words for you, gordon, and it 'aint' happy birthday. A$$Wipe

GFYS -- think hard gordon, go Fxxx yourself

You voice sounds like your so OLD your ready for diapers...again., The ice cracking behind your 93,000- dollar piece of shit house sounds better than your voice.

Oh god ...Captn Pico watt...grow up

Now, tell all everything you know about me

hahahahaha, superbig HAHAHAHAHA - do you even want to know how many of us 'audio-fools" laughed at your ignorant statements? One even ventured to say that you have a small pee-pee and that was from a chick..ouch dude you got schooled

And THIS right here gentlemen is a perfect example of what a real asshole is. He obviously does not know quite as much as he thinks he does and is simply a troublemaker with no balls and likes to hide behind a proxy IP server. No problem. I let it stay up to show what he is really like in case any of you run across him on other boards in the future. He still has me confused who Gordon is and who he thinks was born in 1967. Confused too about this $93,000 house he is talking about or who in hell has the TS-850. I don't. I have an 820 and a 520. In short he is not worth further discussion.

Sounds like this Gold Finger guy is trying to bedazzle and bull shit people. I would never put a 16 volt cap in a radio as it is simply too close to the supply voltage however if it is purely as an audio coupling cap then OK as long as the DC supply voltage is not across it. IMHO there is no sense in putting lipstick on a pig. In the end it is still a pig. Go with decent electrolytic that will fit unless the original is a tantalum in which case use a tantalum in it's place.
Good point about putting lipstick on a pig!!! I normally do not go in for such modifications because I think they are a waste of time to perform on a radio that is working fine. I was only considering it because I am recapping the radio because some have them have been sitting for 18 years or more. In one case the radio has been in plastic unopened with a sealed box since 1976. That is what 40 years just sitting. The mic and power cords and still sealed in plastic they where hectically sealed in unbroken bags still. I think I am not going to bother with audio upgrades just recap. Some the radio's have ample space for such things but some have an insane parts density on the board and real-estate is at a premium on the board. Ys normally if I can fit a 25V or 50V cap on the board I will. I have one radio where upgrading from 6.3V caps to 16V was the best I could do while keeping the capacitance at least at the OEM level because it is so close to the lid any larger and the lid would not go on the unit. I also had some really narrow 1.5mm spacing and tight component layout that forced me to use smaller caps than I would have liked. I still upgraded but not to 50V or higher like I like to do. Even main power filter caps the best I could do was upgrade from 1000uf to 1200UF I had to stay with 25V again to fit the cover's on the unit. I was not going to put some monster's in it and push them over on their side into other components. Often diameter was also an issue because their was no space to go larger with out hitting another part like a transformer .In a few instances I had to go much higher because 20 years latter some of those cap values are no longer made in such low capacitance and voltage combo's. Last time I recapped things the units where only 8 years old and modern designs so replacing with caps on the market where drop in. These radio's that are 20-40 years old the lead spacing, diameters and values are often vastly different than industry norms today. It would be different if I had hundreds of caps on hand to chose from but I am basically buying everything as needed. I am usually buying 10 or more of each size at a time figuring their will be some overlap from radio to radio so I get better pricing from Mouser and Digi-Key. I have gotten some caps off ebay but I will check capacitance and esr before I use them just to be sure they are not fake or at the very least good fakes! LOL

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Sounds good. Nothing wrong with 25 volt caps in a radio.back when I was in broadcasting all we ever bought were 63 volt Phillips electrolytics. usually the highest voltage on the boards were 24-30 volts. They were usually axial lead because that is what most gear used back then. No problems in getting them in almost any value.

I am a professional musician

Professional musician is a big name to give yourself.
Is that one who can read music or what I call fretboard memorizing pattern players?

Simply put, a "Professional" is nothing more than one who performs a service for a fee. That makes a Prostitute a professional too! :D That doesn't necessarily make someone an expert.

Those same tube/transistor arguments spill over into all categories of audio. I actually read where a Bass player swears his 300 watt tube amp is louder than a 1500 watt transistor amp. I guess the fact that when you double your power you get a 3 DB increase doesn't apply with tubes.

The tube/transistor debate has been beat to death all over the internet including in this forum. :whistle:

LMFAO at this guy!!!

first a direct quote from sixstrings:
"Wow, this is such a great web site as a radio newbie I have enjoyed hours of reading the many informative posts."

looks like he enjoyed this place a whole lot, and now suddenly he hates the forum.

sixstrings, since you are an admitted radio newbie, i will take the initiative to inform you of a few things that might help you in your budding radio hobby.

first, realize that anyone who has been in the radio hobby for a while has been sh!t talked and verbally abused by many people, and has probably handed out just as many verbal ass whoopin's.
We actually enjoy this sort of thing and many of us become quite good at what is known as spreading 'hate and discontent' AKA 'h&d'ing'.

rule number one for this type of exchange is that the first one to get mad loses.

the reason i mention this to you is that your audience here on this forum is a bunch of dudes who do this type of thing all the time, and everyone here knows that you just lost this exchange big time.

you probably don't see it that way, but to us you just got your ass handed to you because you got mad and resorted to a bunch of childish troll tactics in order to seem cool. typical noob mistake.

most of us have been trolling since before the internet was invented, and we like to have a chuckle at the kids to are new to radio but not new to the internet.

who exactly was all that typing for?
certainly not for ol' CK. I guarantee you that he sat there laughing at your scurrying around the internet trying to find fodder for your argument just like we all did when we read your tirade.

the first thing we all notice is that you have not provided even one counter argument for the statements CK made about audio and what is and isn't snake oil.
we would all love to hear your arguments on this, but you don't seem to have any information to back up your side.
If you do, why not bring it up and debate it here on the forum?

I work in the entertainment industry and have for over 20 years. I have worked for large scale production shows that demand the best audio engineers in the business.
our current head of the sound department has written articles for different audio related periodicals, and when i asked him his thoughts on this exact subject; his answer was that it's subjective, and is a point of contention in all audio circles.

you gave the impression in your posts that everyone in your circles knows the answer and the only debatable point is how good your ears are.
my sources say that is just not the case.

lastly, you are entering into a hobby that is based entirely on person to person communication, and you just showed a whole room full of the people you apparently wish to talk to that you kind of suck at it.
you might want to take a moment to consider why someone such as yourself would be drawn to this hobby.

learn to read the room dude. geez...
LC

I use electrolytic caps for these types of mods. I've even replaced stock mylar caps with bipolar electrolytics. The capacitance, polarity and voltage rating is all I worry about anymore.

I considered doing the same replacing some of the audio caps that are ceramic disc with bipolar. Modern bipolar are really good especially when you talking about Nichicon or Panasonic audio grade bipolars. Back in the day in high school I would use standard audio grade caps and just use two them together to make my own poor mans bipolar.

I have a lot of experience modifying home audio gear for myself but have always left the basic audio in any CB or export alone for the most part. If I did not like the audio on a radio and wanted to add compression, pre-amp or all pass/phase rotator unit I I would just bypass the first stage of the audio chain and pump my signal just ahead of the ALC. Normally I would make the ALC less aggressive but leave it in place. I never really bothered with trying to modify the components in the audio chain to give greater fidelity or to pass higher freq.'s really. If I was going to modify it I normally focused on modulation.

My thinking was always that it is CB not broadcasting, not recording, no music etc..... Growing up I never had to recap a radio because it was old or they where bad. Normally a voltage regulator would fail so you would upgrade to a better one and while you where at it you would get rid of the 16V caps in the radio at the same time. My Newest radio is from 1998 and gently used with a lot of attic time on it. My oldest radio I think is from 1976 and that has never been out of the plastic or the box and all the cabels, mic, hardware are still in plastic in fact the box had all it's staples in place. The radio works but you can hear some hum in the power filter caps coming through it is a 110V/12V base/mobile. I have 4 or 5 other's in between those extremes. So since I am going to be recapping them to keep them going for at least another 20 years I am open to sensible and safe upgrades while I am in each unit. Some of them are rather simple CB desings with a modest amount of capacitors and plenty of space inside like my NOS Uniden Grant XL well it not truly NOS it had about 6 months of use before I bought it. On the other hand some designs like my Palomar 500SSB have more capacitors on the board that Jimmy Carter has liver pills. My President Lincoln has more parts per square inch that my carpet has fibers with little space to go bigger or taller in any dimension if you want to actually get the covers back on in some places. On the President Lincoln the caps you would like to increase in voltage or capacitance the most are the ones with the least amount of space.

You would never catch me using a ceramic disc capacitor or an electrolytic in the signal path on an amplifier, eq, pre-amp etc....in home audio and if a design had one you can bet you butt I would be bypassing it with a film cap just to make sure at the very least. That said it makes a difference in home audio but really how much band width can a CB use on transmit or receive?

I know from home audio I can be anal-retentive or OCD at times. So before I went down that path with rf audio I wanted to get a reality check from those that have played around with this stuff more than me. I do not want to spend $1.04 for a single capacitor if the $0.25 105°C Low ESR 2000-5000 hour caps I already have will work just fine. If it matter and will truly make a difference I will invest the money in higher grade caps and in film caps etc....I only use Nichichicon, Panasonic, Elna, Fujitsu, Sanyo top of the line Japan made caps even if they General Purpose I do not use cheap caps it never pays if it is for you and you value low rate of re-work and long life. Nichicon and Panisonic are my prefer brands in that order but big power caps, Polymer Caps or if I get a fantastic deal I will other the other brands as well.

I am thinking about trying some Korean Super Caps I get them them about $1-$1.50 less than Malory Super Caps. I am thinking about playing around with some in power 13.8V-16V power supplies because the cost is really coming down on them compared to just 2 years ago.

Matter of fact, I had to replace a tantalum cap today in a local op's radio. A Ranger/Freedom One, which uses the same board as a Galaxy 959. The audio had fallen way down in output level.

Checked the tantalum from that circuit on a ESR tester. This 2.2uF/16v cap showed a series resistance on 10+ ohms. Waaay too high. Also upgraded it to a 25v, since 16v is too small. That, and that is the only voltage I had in that value - lol. Also had to replace the TA7222AP audio amp.

Short a tantalum once or twice, and they cannot be trusted to continue working. Fussy and expensive, they are designed in and one of the first area I will look at in a circuit if there is one in it. Ounce of prevention, and sometimes the cure . . .

I have been looking at getting a decent Cap tester ESR in circuit is so cool! Nothing better than being able to test in circuit. If it is for you than it does not matter if you want to just redcap the entire radio go for it. On the other hand if you want to do the least possible either from a repair stand point for customer's or fixing used gear up to resale it not on;y would speed the process up but would keep you cost down and profit margin up.

I want to pre-sort caps so I know they are good before I put them in. I also would like to speed up repairs when I just want to get a pice of gear back up and working ASAP.

At some point with parts being made more and more in China with no real choice unless you can find NOS parts it would be nice to be able to test capacitors to presort hfe's and get a good trace one each transistors so you can consistently get the result you want with less "random" int he mix. I have seen too many mosfets for instance that are all over the map and too many bipolars as well. Even if they are the same lot off the same die it is not like it used to be back when Japan and the USA and Germany where making a huge amount of the parts!

LMFAO at this guy!!!

first a direct quote from sixstrings:
"Wow, this is such a great web site as a radio newbie I have enjoyed hours of reading the many informative posts."

looks like he enjoyed this place a whole lot, and now suddenly he hates the forum.

sixstrings, since you are an admitted radio newbie, i will take the initiative to inform you of a few things that might help you in your budding radio hobby.

first, realize that anyone who has been in the radio hobby for a while has been sh!t talked and verbally abused by many people, and has probably handed out just as many verbal ass whoopin's.
We actually enjoy this sort of thing and many of us become quite good at what is known as spreading 'hate and discontent' AKA 'h&d'ing'.

rule number one for this type of exchange is that the first one to get mad loses.

the reason i mention this to you is that your audience here on this forum is a bunch of dudes who do this type of thing all the time, and everyone here knows that you just lost this exchange big time.

you probably don't see it that way, but to us you just got your ass handed to you because you got mad and resorted to a bunch of childish troll tactics in order to seem cool. typical noob mistake.

most of us have been trolling since before the internet was invented, and we like to have a chuckle at the kids to are new to radio but not new to the internet.

who exactly was all that typing for?
certainly not for ol' CK. I guarantee you that he sat there laughing at your scurrying around the internet trying to find fodder for your argument just like we all did when we read your tirade.

the first thing we all notice is that you have not provided even one counter argument for the statements CK made about audio and what is and isn't snake oil.
we would all love to hear your arguments on this, but you don't seem to have any information to back up your side.
If you do, why not bring it up and debate it here on the forum?

I work in the entertainment industry and have for over 20 years. I have worked for large scale production shows that demand the best audio engineers in the business.
our current head of the sound department has written articles for different audio related periodicals, and when i asked him his thoughts on this exact subject; his answer was that it's subjective, and is a point of contention in all audio circles.

you gave the impression in your posts that everyone in your circles knows the answer and the only debatable point is how good your ears are.
my sources say that is just not the case.

lastly, you are entering into a hobby that is based entirely on person to person communication, and you just showed a whole room full of the people you apparently wish to talk to that you kind of suck at it.
you might want to take a moment to consider why someone such as yourself would be drawn to this hobby.

learn to read the room dude. geez...
LC

Nothing he said could not have been found using a simple search of this forum. My name and callsign are both here. As for Gordon and the ramble about a house value etc that is lost on me. In any event it is like I said and he is not worth further discussion.

onelasttime,

If you can hear the effects of a film cap vs others of the same value ( in blind listening tests ) in your home stereo you will likely be able to hear a cb or mic amp using cheap film caps such as wima polypropylene vs a stock cb or mic amplifier that has electrolytics in the signal path,

imho going for anything better than wima in a cb is a waste of money unless you have money to burn or have surplus caps from hifi projects,

its probably a waste of money filling the radio with black gates or any lesser audio grade electrolytics from a sonic perspective but theres no harm in using better quality longer lasting caps than found in cb's, solid electrolytics last much longer than wet caps,

never tried ultracaps,
i have used

wima in cb hf radios mics & homebrew speech processors many times,

jelmax black gate electron transfer
DNM slit foil,
iar wonder cap,
Mundorf M-CAP
V-cap CuTF
Elna cerafine,
Elna silmic
Elna silmic 2

various brands of audio grade & motor run polycaps & russian teflon film caps
panasonic and other brand electrolytics,

they all have their own sonic character.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.