• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why won't I ever learn?

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
First I would like to admit,well maybe not LIKE to admit but rather I am FORCED to admit , that I am a procrastinator. I mean, why do today what you can put off until tomorrow I say. :D Well it appears that first thing this morning tomorrow finally came. :blink: I have been thinking for a looooong time about remodeling the den/shack.I wanted to replace the carpet with wood flooring but I wanted to wait until I had remodeled the wall behind the operating desk to allow for a nice neat cable access point.I put that job off for a while until I decided just what I was going to do for a new operating desk as I need a new one. The present desk has been outgrown big time. I just plain NEED more room for all my radio gear.I have a nice old solid wood oak desk in the basement but it needs refinishing but it would be bigger than what I have now. It is 3 feet by 5 feet, making it a rather nice size.Put a shelf on top and away I go. OK well yesterday I was in the basement looking around for some more parts for my 572B amp project when a lightbulb came on in my head.The old RCA broadcast TX has two nice steel side panels that measure 34 inches by 74 inches by 2 inches thick complete with finished rolled edges.With a couple 2x4's inserted inside it from underneath it would make a dandy desk top. This morning I awoke and said to the wife "Let's go to town. I want to get the stuff to do the den". This came as a both a surprise and a delight to her.So off we went to get the new flooring and some paint samples.

So you are now asking just what is it that I will never learn. Well the answer is why won't I ever learn to stop planning all this stuff to do and waking up one morning and saying "Today is the day I start ALL of it once!".That's the way I work. i will put something off for months and then one day without warning take off to get supplies and get the job done. The side deck was that way. The wife left for work one morning and came home to it half finished without even knowing I planned to start it.The following day it was finished. Yesterday all I had to do was think about getting the firewood in under cover for the winter and what I was going to do on the amp project. Today I have to strip the den of EVERYTHING and that is a job and a half in itself. It was actually declared a disaster area by the county I swear. Next I have to rip up the old carpet and prepare to lay new laminate flooring. I also have to cut out a large chunk of the wall and cut out the old electrical boxes where my cables presently enter he room.This will aloow me to put a new already made wood panel with a 1/8 inch thick aluminum panel insert loaded with coax cable bulkhead connectors and various jack panels for other cables like telephone,rotator,antenna control etc.Of course all this stuff still needs to be wired to the panel.After that I have to paint the ceiling and walls after I remove the wallpaper and border first.Next comes painting and installing new baseboards. Finally I need to pick up another two drawer file cabinet to augment the existing one and begin to build my new operating desk out of the cabinets and steel tx panels. As it happens even the front door of the tx can be used as a top shelf if it is cut a bit narrower.Oh yeah,I decided to scrap the floor-ceiling bookcase and go with a smaller one too. One more thing,I have also decided that the desk that I just took apart today and removed from one of the boy's rooms will go into the corner of the den and be an area that I can do small repairs at. Bigger stuff will go to the basement or out to the barn to do.

So there you go,yesterday I had next to nothing to do. Today I have the world to take on.Maybe I'll start tomorrow instead. :unsure:

I am procrastinating putting some wet patch on my shack roof. How's THAT for procrastination???

The worst part of it is - I don't know where the leak is exactly. To compound the problem, the Bay Area of CA is about to be hit by a tropcal Typhoon Melor - and we are supposed to get up to 5 inches of rain in less than a 12 hour period. So - the clock is ticking. I have to get up there and patch the leak in the next 48 hours. WITHOUT EXCEPTION. Unless I want to move a bunch of equipment out of the shack in a biiig hurry!!!

Are you through yet??? (y)

Ask me that at christmas time. :D

BTW did I mention that this weekend is our Thanksgiving as well? Monday is the holiday. Oh well, my folks are used to seeing the den in a state of turmoil but this year they get to see the turmoil spread throughout the rest of the house too. :whistle:

Ask me that at christmas time. :D

BTW did I mention that this weekend is our Thanksgiving as well? Monday is the holiday. Oh well, my folks are used to seeing the den in a state of turmoil but this year they get to see the turmoil spread throughout the rest of the house too. :whistle:

Oh Well ... like my wife says ... if you don't like the way our house is, you don't have to return ... (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.