• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

why would a ham say this ..... ????

With the Maco V58 on a push-up pole,

typical comms banging the noise floor (just bumping the needle off the noise) with the antenna at about 10 feet above ground

rise to about 2-3S with the antenna up to 30-40 feet above ground.

That's just one datapoint - maybe an outlier?

Don't put a lot of credence in the differing height making that much difference between the various 'sizes' of antennas, it just isn't going to even make a typical 1/4 wave into a typical 5/8 wave antenna. Of course height can make some differences, but not that much!
All antennas are compared to either a 1/2 wave antenna or an isotropic antenna for gain references. That certainly does not mean that the 1/2 wave antenna is the one to beat, it's only being used as a standard reference.
I also wouldn't put a lot of faith in 'BYU's posts, they are not all correct. Neither are 'JI's. (Or mine either, for that matter.) As far as the nit-whits, the 'N0' for instance, you are always going to find those kind'a people no matter what you are talking about, and on both 'sides' of the fence. Ignore them.
Seems like it always turns into the same old thing. I'm tired of it.
- 'Doc

i know i cant turn it into a 5/8. but a antenna thats 30-40 feet above the ground
should out tx/rx a antennas thats only 10-20 feet above ground i would think.thats what
im getting at.if mounting height above ground is same then theres no doubt the
longer one wins everytime.i also believe in rasre cases the 1/4 will outdo a 5/8
like in a valley or hole like im in.i just wished i had the funds to test myself at my location
cause every location is different

apparently this has been discussed here fairly recent ..........

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/102534-what-w8ji-says-about-1-4-wave-vs-5-8-wave-9.html

for my particular situation its a moot point , i can't guy here . i can do about 28-29 ft max feed-point height here for a permanent install , or maybe 19-20 ft for something i can raise and lower to play with . a starduster would limit my tip height to 29 - 38 ft . a 5/8 about 44 1/2 - 51 1/2 ft tip heights ..... add six inches for the all mighty .64wl . a .82 will be at 49 1/2 - 58 1/2 ft tip height . for my modest feedpoint height limitations the longer antenna allows me to get the antennas tip over 20- ft higher than i could with a 1/4wgp .

now ......... keeping with what WB6BYU had to say . if TOA isn't really an advantage and tip height is all that matters .......
since there are numerous ways to make almost anything tune to make a meter reasonably happy .... why not just go to a 36 ft or 54 or even a 72 ft vertical ?

Last edited by a moderator:
im with you booty,
to put a 1/4wave or astroplane at the same tip height means extra mast length and windload at the top of the mast ;)

The prime feature of the 5/8 wave gp or Sigma IV/Vector 4000 - is to have a low angle of radiation. So, frankly I cannot reason why this fellow would say that there is little difference. Low radiation angles are certainly far better off that higher angles of radiation provided by the 1/4w gp or 1/2w gp.

Surely, the difference between antenna theory, the drafting board/design, the materials used, and assembly does not guarantee that every antenna is going to be as efficient/loss-less and equal as simple theory would dictate.

Yep....(y)

I can't make the claim that my Eznec5 models answer this question that BM asked regarding WB6BYU's statement, but it is at least some evidence and it does support WB6BYU's claim.

All of these models are at 70' feet and all but the 5/8 wave dipole includes the mast attached, and the patterns are noted to all be over real Earth. The model (#6 s_r 102-102 at 70') is a model of my Marconi 5x made up of 5 x 102" ss whips.

View attachment Various models @ 70' feet.pdf

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.