• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why would a rig squeal when using a tuner until the power is turned down?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
I am using a Yeasu FT-890 and an MFJ-962c tuner. I was testing a tuner and a rain gutter antenna and unless I really tuned the radio's power down to around 5-10 watts on SSB the receiving station reported a squeal. This does not make much sense to me. Any ideas?

Some antennas are just plain nasty when it comes to RF in the shack. Especially non-resonant ones being force-fed thru a tuner. Check for broken coax cable shields too.

well I ran a ground wire from outside, first to the tuner, then to the radio. it still had issues, same darn squeal
then I ran a ground from the radio to the behringer 802 mixer and now it works perfectly, no squeals, no howls, just good reports

well I ran a ground wire from outside, first to the tuner, then to the radio. it still had issues, same darn squeal
then I ran a ground from the radio to the behringer 802 mixer and now it works perfectly, no squeals, no howls, just good reports

and no jumpers were harmed

I figured it was a grounding issue but did not realize you were using an outboard audio mixer until I re-read your signature line. yeah, sounds like the RF feedback was getting into the mixer and grounding it to the radio chassis which in turn was grounded solved the problem. Those mixers are not really meant to take much RF and with the antenna system you described it may well have been subjected to a lot of it. I used to have a similar problem with a random length end-fed wire where the wire came directly into the shack's tuner without any coax cable in the system.

Nice when bonding to a common ground is a fix

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.