• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why would they??

Klint

Mar 13, 2019
Why would they sell #10 wire for up to 575 watts?

Attachments

• 20190324_201626.jpg
    20190324_201626.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19

Probably because that would be about the minimum size to power that size amp. Pretty sure that you will never see that kind of power with 10 gauge wire.
Then again why do people sell 10 gauge jumper cables? They work if the battery almost has enough to start the car, however, if the battery is down to far those 10ga jumper cables are totally worthless.

You can source most of those parts from hardware store. Not everything needs be plug and play. Building your own can be interesting and rewarding.
Oh yea,, I do all my stuff myself ( what I can do ) I’m an electrician by trade and just scrolled through that little page and saw where they were selling 30 amp wire for 40 amp amplifiers.. lol

Reactions: walterjn
May be like the direct burial I got out of a plant. Size was off but if you look up the rating due to component make up it will handle the load. Ran the stuff out for pedestal at my camper. No drop in amps at all on 100 foot run. Blew my mind. Argued with friend who gave it to me, I was convinced it would not be correct. Once he got the actual product name and I looked it up ......I'll be damned. Ran that stuff before he could want it back for a project at his place. Nope I installed it, and you can't have it back. Ha Ha.

Probably because that would be about the minimum size to power that size amp. Pretty sure that you will never see that kind of power with 10 gauge wire.
Then again why do people sell 10 gauge jumper cables? They work if the battery almost has enough to start the car, however, if the battery is down to far those 10ga jumper cables are totally worthless.

All those are good for is leaving them connected for a bit and recharging the dead battery for bit and THEN jump starting it.

Reactions: walterjn
All those are good for is leaving them connected for a bit and recharging the dead battery for bit and THEN jump starting it.

I got a set of 2 gauge welding cable home made jumper cables, about 20 feet long. Never had a problem starting anything with them. Had them for many years, I think my dad made them originally. I just replaced the clamps a few years ago.

YUP. Bigger is better and God only knows why 10 or even 8 gauge is considered good enough for jump starting. Yeah yeah I know........it's cheap.
i laugh when people put those light jumper cables opps wires on a car from another.they hit the key and those little jumpers swing about.
I bought a pickup that wouldnt start.did a watch had wive crank it .somebody put a 10 guage wire on for ground cable.1 good ground cable and she starts just fime

I inherited a nice set of HD jumper cables when Dad passed. He got them when a 1969 Cadillac kept eating alternators. Travelled with a spare.

I hooked up my Cummins Dodge to the Peterbilt last summer. Didn’t realize the refrigerator would run down the four START batteries in three days. I’d thought it was connected to the four HOUSE batteries. (I hadn’t then nor have I yet bought the NEMA-20 power cord to run the truck off a 30A outlet I have nearby when at home).

The Cummins had the stone-cold 13-Liter Paccar turned over in about ten minutes of charging on that jumper set from the 120A Denso.

I inherited a nice set of HD jumper cables when Dad passed. He got them when a 1969 Cadillac kept eating alternators. Travelled with a spare.

I hooked up my Cummins Dodge to the Peterbilt last summer. Didn’t realize the refrigerator would run down the four START batteries in three days. I’d thought it was connected to the four HOUSE batteries. (I hadn’t then nor have I yet bought the NEMA-20 power cord to run the truck off a 30A outlet I have nearby when at home).

The Cummins had the stone-cold 13-Liter Paccar turned over in about ten minutes of charging on that jumper set from the 120A Denso.

that cummins skeert that paccar.
A good heavy set of jumoer cables are priceless when needed

When working at a parts store it was amazing just how may people would go straight to the 10Ga cables. Then I would have to explain to them that they are not sufficient for most automotive applications.
Then there is the inevitable question...well then why do you sell them? That's what I would like to know.

When working at a parts store it was amazing just how may people would go straight to the 10Ga cables. Then I would have to explain to them that they are not sufficient for most automotive applications.
Then there is the inevitable question...well then why do you sell them? That's what I would like to know.
I think the parts store I was working at quit stocking those cheap garbage cables.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.