• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wild Hair Kenwood D710 or V71A

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
I've got this wild hair to get a new radio. I'll end up in the car replacing a working radio. I've narrowed my choices down to two, both Kenwood, one the TM-V71A, the other TM-D710. Don't bother suggesting other brands, it'd waste both of our time. So, any comments?
- 'Doc

If I remember correctly, you also have the TS-480?

The D710A is a no brainer then, it is basically a souped up V71A.

710 offers Sky Command to work with that 480. Yeah, using the 710 in your car locally and talking on HF with it while linked to your 480 at home is Friggin awesome!

If the 480 is modded :D you can also use the 710 on 11 meter while linked to the 480!

OH don't worry, you do not have to be on a ham band with the 710 either while talking on 11 meter, because if you mod the 710 then you can Sky Command with MURS and a FRS frequency :w00t::w00t:

Do not know if you are into APRS but if you are the 710 is your radio, look up the green light labs GPS, AWESOME ADD ON! Even if APRS is not your thing, YOU NEVER KNOW!!

Yeah I would be all over that 710

Mack',
Basically, yes. But then, why settle for anything less?

-----

H.H.,
I already do APRS and don't need the '710 for that. It can't compete with the Byonic's 'RTG' and a laptop anyway. I do know it does APRS well though. And as far as 'Skycommand' goes (or the other forms of it), I'm araid I've been there/done that a lot of years ago. Certainly not as easily, but after the 'new' wears off, I'd rather have that HF radio in front of me. No idea how to explain the differences.
I've heard 'horror stories' about both radios, this breaks, that doesn't work, etc. But the nice part is that the 'firmware' can be upgraded easily/free. Oh well...
- 'Doc

If I remember correctly, you also have the TS-480?

The D710A is a no brainer then, it is basically a souped up V71A.

710 offers Sky Command to work with that 480. Yeah, using the 710 in your car locally and talking on HF with it while linked to your 480 at home is Friggin awesome!

If the 480 is modded :D you can also use the 710 on 11 meter while linked to the 480!

OH don't worry, you do not have to be on a ham band with the 710 either while talking on 11 meter, because if you mod the 710 then you can Sky Command with MURS and a FRS frequency :w00t::w00t:

Do not know if you are into APRS but if you are the 710 is your radio, look up the green light labs GPS, AWESOME ADD ON! Even if APRS is not your thing, YOU NEVER KNOW!!

Yeah I would be all over that 710

That is freakin amazing! If you do plan on hacking into 11-meters via FRS, be sure to get the Fun Mic from towerdog...

ORRRRRRRRRRRR

You could buy the V71A and if you wish add the RC-D710 in the future which upgrades the V71A

Kenwood RC-D710

The Kenwood RC-D710 control panel has a stand-alone 1200/9600 bps TNC with APRS® ready firmware. With the supplied accessories, the RC-D710 is a full upgrade to the Kenwood TM-V71A. The TM-V71A will have the full functionality of the the TM-D710A by exchanging the TM-V71A panel with the RC-D710. There is an input for a NMEA-0183 GPS. Other features include: APRS station list (up to 100), way point position data output, packet monitor, DX cluster and upgradable firmware. The large LCD and illuminate to amber or green. Connecting the RC-D710 via the optional PG-5J Interface Kit adds APRS functionality. Using a a PC running the Kenwood MCP-2A Memory Control Program (available from Kenwood as a free download), you can edit and manage such data as the settings for various APRS functions. Requires Kenwood PG-5G Interface Cable (sold separately). The PG-5G is also required for firmware upgrading. Size with protrusions: 6.14 x 2.80 x 2.2 inches.

Mole',
I really thought about that. I have this idea that a valid warranty is nice, and 'new' is only two hours away, you know?
I also am aware about the RC-D710 head, it would work on the radio the '71 would be replacing too. And considering that the cost would be almost the same as a new radio, I think having an 'extra' radio without that head is nice too.
- 'Doc

(And no matter what head/radio you're talking about, none of them will ever be the size of the screen on a laptop. :))

What comments are you looking for? It's obvious you've made up your mind and you just have some smart quip about everything someone suggests.

Reactions: Mudfoot
What comments are you looking for? It's obvious you've made up your mind and you just have some smart quip about everything someone suggests.

Talking out loud helps justify the purchase with reassurance from others.

Smart quip? You just gotta know Doc, he's a good guy, even though he is from Texas :love:

Texas?! ... Wash your mouth out!

And 'Hutch', you're mostly right, I have made up my mind, and got one today. Sorry, but I don't need to buy anything to come up with a 'quip' or two. I like those 'quips', I think they are funny. Never fear though, I'll never 'quip' you again.
- 'Doc

Texas, Oklahoma, same same LOL

Texas?! ... Wash your mouth out!

And 'Hutch', you're mostly right, I have made up my mind, and got one today. Sorry, but I don't need to buy anything to come up with a 'quip' or two. I like those 'quips', I think they are funny. Never fear though, I'll never 'quip' you again.
- 'Doc

The biggy is that I'm not in, or from, Texas. I may some times be a little 'horny', but I ain't got horns. Big difference...
- 'Doc
;)

And just to follow up...

I've had the TM-V71A for three days (2 and a half, whatever), I think I'm very satisfied. I'm surprised that it 'hears' noticeably better that the '708 does. Not a huge differencs, but some. It isn't as big a problem to program as I feared, just slightly different. I haven't 'played' with all the features yet, but the ones I 'normally' used are stll there and work fine. The free programming software is well worth the time to set up and use! Had a cable so no problems there. I'm still learning, which is fun, re-programming every time I think of something 'new' (fun cuz it's easy), and haven't gotten into stuff I shouldn't have... yet.
Happy camper!
- 'Doc

Why does the #$% thing make the seat belt notice beep?? The other radio was in the same place and it didn't.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.