• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will it match..... question

The FSM doesn't generate any power , it (and everything past it) is a load

you are adjusting the impedance that the transmitter "sees".

How can you consider the field strength meter a load? When you are having a qso with someone would you consider their receiver a load also?

I agree that we are adjusting the impedance that the transmitter sees. Just don't forget about the output side of the tuner. Are we not (at the same time) adjusting it to match the impedance of the load? Isn't that a good thing to do?

Last edited:
How does a lower (power?) reading on a FSM result in a lower (SWR) reading on the fsm?

You got that backwards. The lower the SWR the higher the power. Here I will quote my words...

If you tune the antenna tuner so the radio sees the lowest SWR, you have maximum power transfer to the antenna, as measured with a field strength meter

Lowest SWR, maximum power.

If you adjust the antenna tuner so it doesn't have the lowest SWR, the field strength meter will have a lower reading, and the lower the SWR the lower the reading.

If it doesnt' have the lowest SWR, the meter will have a lower reading, so higher SWR lower reading.

I really don't get where you got lower SWR means a lower reading...

The FSM doesn't generate any power , it (and everything past it) is a load

Everything past it??? What the building, cars, or whatever is further away from the field strength meter's receiving antenna in that direction from the radio's antenna???

Do you not know what a field strength meter is? With all due respect, what you are saying makes no sense. The only things beyond the field strength meter are building, cars, and whatever else happens to be in the world in that direction. The field strength meter is not a part of the system, it is receiver that exists with its own antenna beyond the system. Its like the s-meter in a radio, only far more accurate when determining relative power levels.

you are adjusting the impedance that the transmitter "sees".

No one is arguing against this. As a matter of fact, all sides are in agreement about this aspect of antenna tuners. I don't get the point in bringing it up here unless you mean to say that is all an antenna tuner does???

The DB

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.