• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will this be ok Newbie Q

EI52N7W

Jun 30, 2013
Ireland
Alinco dx70TH with an Alinco EDX 2 ATU,
As I dont have my license yet i will only be using it for some dx on 11 mtrs and Listening,

So my plan is to put up a sirio gainmaster (will this be ok with the atu), And not to mount the atu outside but inside beside the rig.

If so i see by the diagram the unit is to be grounded how will i do this in my room? Or does this make sense at all :blush:

Forgot to mention the antenna will be only 10 feet away from my room

Last edited:

I am not sure if the tuner will load up an antenna outside of the ham bands( I am sure someone in the know will chime in )...for listening the tuner wont make enough difference to be really noticed,just be sure to tune the antenna for 11 meters and leave the tuner turned off

I'm not familiar with that tuner, but, in general, if an antenna is harmonically related to a frequency it isn't made for, it can usually be made to work. That depends on the 'size'/capabilities of the tuner. I think it should be possible to 'skootch' an 11 meter antenna for use on 10 or maybe 12 meters. Any further away than that and it get's more "iffy". I think you could get away with it, maybe.
- 'Doc

I am not sure if the tuner will load up an antenna outside of the ham bands( I am sure someone in the know will chime in )...for listening the tuner wont make enough difference to be really noticed,just be sure to tune the antenna for 11 meters and leave the tuner turned off[/QUOTE

Have bought a good swr meter just waiting for delivery, I just wanted to know if anyone else here is using the same tuner that would be familiar with it.

The tuner is rated to go 1.8 - 30 mhz and reported to be able to tune a beer barrel as lightheartedly reported online.

I'm not familiar with that tuner, but, in general, if an antenna is harmonically related to a frequency it isn't made for, it can usually be made to work. That depends on the 'size'/capabilities of the tuner. I think it should be possible to 'skootch' an 11 meter antenna for use on 10 or maybe 12 meters. Any further away than that and it get's more "iffy". I think you could get away with it, maybe.
- 'Doc

All i can find online about it is a short description of it, a wiring diagram and two very short vids on utube that im not sure i understand.

I am not sure if the tuner will load up an antenna outside of the ham bands( I am sure someone in the know will chime in )...for listening the tuner wont make enough difference to be really noticed,just be sure to tune the antenna for 11 meters and leave the tuner turned off

sure it will, the tuner doesn't know one frequency from the other, it will try to
find a match for whatever you throw at it...

for instance my 160-10 manual tuner tunes fine on 6... hmmm... I bet it would tune a little better if I tuned using the inductor used for 20m

Reactions: 1 person
if you want a decent multi band antenna that works and does not require a tuner, I have been working on just such an antenna, simple and CHEAP to build and it doesnt even need a tuner

I have plans for a 40/20/15/10 (could add 17/12, or even 6m with very little additional work

It may not outperform a a99/Imax 2000, maco v5/8 or sirio gainmmaster on 10/11/12m but, it will out perform those antennas in TX and RX on every other band it gets cut for... best part is it does not need a tuner, did I mention that part?

I occasionally get on 11m, and all I use is my 10m antennas and a tuner, always get great reports

pretty sure it wont tune the antenna

take the radio then into the tuner then into a swr meter then to the antenna
then hit auto tune and see if the swr changes on the meter

Just been informed it will work with no problem whatsoever, If i put put on the food and drinks i will be shown what to do, (thanks phill):mellow: .

I don't understand the theory behind it but learning,,,,,,,,

Think of an 'antenna tuner' as a variable impedance transformer, something like a voltage transformer. It changes one impedance to another, that's all. It doesn't/can't make an antenna change any of it's characteristics, it only makes using an unsuitable antenna possible. If you want to change how an antenna behaves then you have to make the appropriate changes to the antenna, not somewhere else. Does that mean that a tuner only makes a transmitter 'happy'? It would seem so, but so does using a 'tuned' feed line, and that tuned feed line still doesn't do anything to the antenna, it stays the same. The thing in favor of using a tuner to do that is that it was designed to do exactly that. The typical feed line was never designed to do that impedance transforming so is at a greater risk of damage. Is using a tuner (or that tuned feed line) the best way of doing it? Nope, but it's much more practical (cheaper) than adjusting an antenna for every frequency/band change you may want to do. Or having 47 different antennas but no place to put them?
A tuner is always a compromise. When it is the most practical compromise to make, then why not?
- 'Doc

even a multiband antenna is not a very good antenna
all your doing is using the harmonics for each band
monoband antenna would be the best
but alot of folks dont have room for a antenna at each band

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.