• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WILSON 1000 MAG MOUNT VS. 102" WHIP

BIONIC_TEXAN88

Aug 1, 2005
TEXAS PINEYWOODS
I have both antennas and currently running a comparison. the whip is mounted in the center of my toolbox. When I am running my wilson 1000 its mounted on the top center of my roof(both are not on at the same time). So far I cant tell much difference between the two, I am going to continue testing to get a better test between the two. what do ya'll think??

Been there done that , 20 mile test , 102 seemed to receive a slight bit better , but not enough in my case to change over from my W-1000 at the time. According to my targets , they both trasismitted about the same. I'd bet to say from what I've read over the years , that 102 inch is more then likely the best that it gets , The Wilson is a decent bottom loaded antenna that works well and works well with power. It's a compact situation compared to the 102 incher , with much ease of installation.IM sure we will being hearing about the 10K in these parts next. I live in the big city , 102 inches is way to much for me anymore , (Ran a Fransis Amazer for a few years in the 90s) I'd like to run a single coiled 10K one day , my only personal problem with that is the big city and having everybody and there brothers (and the man) looking at me everywhere I went. The 102's will do that as well in these parts. The Wilson works good enough for me for the last 15 years or so ,it's low profile and has a very nice look to it , doesn't really stick out like a sore thumb to speak. Bottom line for me is that it works good enough for me and that's all that really matters , I truly doubt I'd be missing much running anything else.

hey switch, I have the 10k as well. Its my favorite. I just happened to have the 1000 and the 102" for stand bys and wanted to do me some testing on them. So as far as the 10k bit, I am not interested, just interested in the comparisons of the 2 mentioned.

The biggest 'practical' difference is in the convenience of using a shorter antenna. Electrically, there is some difference, but not a great deal. How much 'inconvenience' are you willing to put up with, that's the question. Same goes for the 'other' electrical lengths or 'short/long' differences.
- 'Doc

If you live along a migratory bird route, consider the shorter antenna, less trouble with game wardens.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.