• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wilson 1000 swr issues

Several hundred watts. I have seen it at 400 watts and not at 100 watts. Dirt under the magnet and rusty sharp points around the rim promote arcing.

very interesting and good warning! Thanks for the tip. I'm verrrry 5W barefoot on 11M, with a new 20-24" Valor mag base antenna, and an old Cobra 19 DX III that I salvaged from a flea market. Funny that the antenna cost 6x the price of the $5 radio. pretty cool to be able to pick up old stuff like that.

I'm waiting for Bearcat 980 SSB, that is supposed to arrive today, that replacement Wilson 1000. I've done hardmount whip as well as K40, in the past. I never spent much time on the lower 30, but always did well with K40 on 30-40 SSB.

The new 980 is tricked out slightly for durability and performance, but still basically barefoot. I'm not into the ______ing contests or talking over other operators. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Well! I'm back in the saddle again... not only did the Wilson 1000 arrive and pass testing with flying colors, yesterday, but today the Uniden BC 980 SSB arrived and is now loosely installed for some upcoming road testing. Snake Custom Radios has done a very good job setting this 980 up. My beef is with Uniden, however, that they do not make the display lighting bright enough for these tired aging eyes, despite my having adjusted Color, Contrast, and Brightness to the max settings... but that is a topic for another WWDX forum.

Many thanks for all the comments and help in here. I'll keep this linked to my email for updates.

Howdy! :)
I finally got around to putting my replacement Wilson 1000 on my new MFJ-259C analyzer and adjusted it without cutting/grinding. It's all the way to the bottom of the hole! and could use a fraction more to perfect it, if I decide to do that later. For now I have the following test results, using the new stock 62.5" whip:
Freq, swr, r, x (on MFJ's 11-28 scale)
27.405, 1.1, 49, 8
27.240, 1.0, 55, 0
27.965, 1.3, 71, 0

I also retested the 66" whip and the (now) 58.125" original whip that Wilson had told me to cut down. Both the 66 and 58 are significantly outside the 11M band whether fully sunk or raised in the base. Here are the best results on those, without doing a lot of fiddling:
66" whip: maybe use this on 12M?
Freq, swr, R. x (11-28 scale)
25.981, 1.1, 62, 5

58.125" whip: maybe for 10M?
Freq, swr, R, X (28-67 scale)
28.353, 1.0, 51, 0
28.019, 1.0, 57, 0
27.961, 1.1, 58, 0 (11-28 scale on MFJ)

Wow! How many months since my last post?! I've been very busy. Tested successfully for both Technician and General ham tickets the Fall of 2015, got the General license in October 2015, and finally got my SUV ready and a Yaesu FT100D installed and operational, as of two weeks ago. 14 on the air contacts so far. 12 in USA, one in Bulgaria, and one in the Czech Republic... the DX was possible on 20 meters yesterday, because of the great improvement in the bands. All of these QSOs took place with my FT100D, an Alpha MOTO multiband antenna, LDG YT100 tuner, with the antenna over the roof about 24" inboard of the vehicle's outer perimeter. I know that the Alpha MOTO is not as efficient as a Tarheel or Scorpion or BugCatcher, etc., but, for my first mobile antenna, and one that I can attach to a Diamond K9000 actuator to fold it over for entrance and egress of garages and low hanging obstacles, I have no real complaint. If anyone is interested in the design and installation that I've done on my mobile, I am completing a video series about this build process, and here is the link for those videos I've already posted:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#...aig+szwed+hf+mobile+radio+installation+series

I made those videos because there was very little information directly dealing with the 2010 Santa Fe being used for mobile operations. So now there is a starting point for operators to see how I accomplished what I did. Let's turn all those SUVs into hams on wheels!
Craig - KC1ELZ

Reactions: hotrod

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?