• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 1000 wont tune on roof mount...

undertaker

Undertaker
Apr 5, 2006
Texas
Got a brand new roof mount for the pick up aluminum of course drilled the hole mounted the mount and used the 62 in whip and the 66 inch whip still wont tune never had this problem before.. HELP!!!

Reactions: 357magnum

Got a brand new roof mount for the pick up aluminum of course drilled the hole mounted the mount and used the 62 in whip and the 66 inch whip still wont tune never had this problem before.. HELP!!!
Possible lack of good ground? How much of the antenna have you "snipped-off"?
I installed a Third Brake Light Antenna mount with a Laird NMO CB antenna on my '19 F350 and the VSWR is 1.1:1 to 1.2:1 on all 11 meter channels.

My experience with their Aluminum, is they "anodize" that metal quite a bit to make the paint stick to it.

On top of that, the "Finish metal" is a simple cap - they don't weld Aluminum (at least very well) so you may have surface area - Read: Counterpoise issues on top of the "floating lack of surface area" and the Epoxy resins used to seal the finish metal to the base frame metal keeps RF stuck to the smaller surface

So you may have "''Olde' Lang Oxide" condition making the RF issue confined.

A few layers of green Frog Tape 1/2” out from circle of mount once removed.

Load drill motor with wire brush.

And steel wheel that blasted Ferd roof!!

(No, don’t take my advice . . . it IS how I’d feel about it were it mine).

Instead, I’d need to put this on
(okay, LOUD)

Last edited:
Reactions: Handy Andy
So, let’s get serious about this install.

Check list:

1). Chinese-sourced antenna and mag-mount.

2). 18-feet Chinesium coax, excess tightly coiled under passenger seat; rear window not TOO tightly shut on it. Duct tape to seal AND to keep coax from flopping on roof.

3). Flea-market radio. Tuning aided by snacks from a finishing hammer.

4). Power via spliced-together cigarette lighter cord. A teeny piece of wire to jump the un-needed fuse.

5). Microphone cord looped around mirror bracket to face driver.

6). Radio wedged between passenger seat and armrest.

Did I miss anything?

(A wave from the audience). Okay, spit can, dunning notices, and dead Lotto tickets to cover dashboard.

Since drivers window quit working, a few of those Wonder Bread wrappers to cover radio.

List courtesy of puckered-up you-know-who’s and their love of 11-meter-ites.

My experience with their Aluminum, is they "anodize" that metal quite a bit to make the paint stick to it.

On top of that, the "Finish metal" is a simple cap - they don't weld Aluminum (at least very well) so you may have surface area - Read: Counterpoise issues on top of the "floating lack of surface area" and the Epoxy resins used to seal the finish metal to the base frame metal keeps RF stuck to the smaller surface

So you may have "''Olde' Lang Oxide" condition making the RF issue confined.
Interesting information! You may have something there!
I'm staying with the third brake light antenna mount and the Laird NMO CB antenna.

Reactions: Handy Andy
Possible lack of good ground? How much of the antenna have you "snipped-off"?
I installed a Third Brake Light Antenna mount with a Laird NMO CB antenna on my '19 F350 and the VSWR is 1.1:1 to 1.2:1 on all 11 meter channels.
I would like to see a picture of that 3rd brake light mount. I had the cowl mount all installed on my aluminum ford but there is no easy way to run the coax. everything is sealed.

I would like to see a picture of that 3rd brake light mount. I had the cowl mount all installed on my aluminum ford but there is no easy way to run the coax. everything is sealed.
I
I do not have any photos of the mount on my truck, but if you Google; Bullet Proof Diesel Third Brake Light Antenna Mount, you will find several photos of the mount and a few installation photos. It is a darn expensive mount but it is working-out great for me.

I have and tested three reputable NMO CB antennas. After trimming, all three antennas work great with outstanding VSWR readings..
My personal opinions are as follows.
1. Browning BR-140-B (black) I like the concept that the O-ring is permanently imbedded / captive into the bottom of the coil.
2. Larsen NMO 27 has two types of sealing methods / devices.
A. A rubber O-ring which inserts into a grove in the bottom of the coil. NOTE: Getting the O-ring to stay in the groove when screwing-on the coil can / will be a PITA.
B. A flat grooved rubber seal which fits over the outside diameter of the base of the coil. If you plan on removing and installing the antenna often, seal type B would be used. The (A) O-ring seal would be used for a permanent installation. NOTE: I could not locate a black coil with a black antenna as a package. I had to order the black coil and the black antenna separately.
3. Laird CB 27S 27-31 MHz Antenna. The O-ring is not held captive in the groove and it can / will be a PITA to retain in the groove when screwing-on the coil to the base. Applying a small dab of grease in the O-ring groove will keep the O-ring in the groove. I flipped the coin and I'm leaving the Laird on the truck and keeping the BR-140-B and Larsen in the cab as a back-ups for low hanging limbs at the camp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.