• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wilson 1000

LOL i have a Wilson 5k that tunes across 10 meters perfect and not worth a hill of beans on 11!!! No matter what i do i cant get it to resonate on 11 meters. The best i can do is a 2.1 mismatch...

The whip for 10 meters is to short for CB (11 meters), you need to get a longer stinger.

The DB

yes i have. 1.2.1 on the input of the amplifier. that never really seemed to change. i know how to tune the amp, it is just difficult to do with with multible pairs of transistors, the way it was suggested to me anyway. i wonder if an output variable capacitor can be used like the ones that i have seen used in homebrew multi transistor amplifiers?

I'm not sure what type of amplifier you have, however if there is a variable cap on the output transformers/combiners you can adjust that. I am always hesitant to tell someone to work on something like that without knowing their skills with a soldering iron.

That being said, if there is an existing non-variable capacitor on the output combiner you should be able to replace that with a variable capacitor whose range includes the existing capacitors capacitance. Make sure it can handle at least as much power as the existing capacitor.

Beyond that I would likely have to see the amplifier in question.

The DB

The problem is NOT in the antenna. The problem is, as I mentioned above, in your amplifier output tuning. Changing antennas will not fix your amplifier. At best it might make it look not as bad, but that is the best changing out an antenna will do.

If you do anything get the amplifier fixed/tuned, otherwise you are just wasting your time and money.

The DB

i ran a wilson 1000 with this setup for about seven years with no swr issues, and since april ran both 10 and 11 meters with the 1000 with no swr problems. i had two different whips cut for the center both bands and got fed up with climbing up there to change out the whips everytime i wanted to change bands.
What changed?
The antenna.

What makes you think that the Amp tuning has changed?
T/S amps have fixed tuning, no variables.
I have been running the same DX 500 for years and nothing has changed.
I assume that you are re-calibraing the SWR meter when using the amp?
And you are testing with dead key only correct?
I would not be so quick to start dinking around inside the amp.

Jeff

happy now

i did mention the brand of amplifier, was stated "t.s. 500v" as in texas star. in any case i think the issue is with both the amplifier and wilson mag mount antenna..... not a good combination. since barjan had the wilson line the quality control has been next to nothing as seen for the wide varance in the coils from antenna to antenna, and the increasing number of individuals experencing problems. i do beleive it is a combination of ohms, capacitance, and reactance that varies widely from coil to coil.

some will work and some will not. changing antennas will not fix your amplifier its correct , when you are under the assumption that there is something wrong with the tuned output of the amplifier. it is my opinion (i have to state it this way as i don't have an analizer to prove it...yet) that the wilson antennas characteristics vary so wildly from coil to coil it could be any one of the before mention possibilities that is causing my issue and not the technique of the individual setting it up, and or the before mentioned amplifier. it has also been my experence in hearing about, and seeing more problems being encountered lately with the wilson antennas trying to be set up with just a radio alone, and also with the texas star brand of amplifiers than any other brand of antenna.

if it was just the amplifier causing the issue then i would not have seen the results that i have gotten with the new sirio p 5000 installation. it is set up in the same location as the wilsons were, it is a mag mount, and i am seeing almost 2 MHz of bandwidth with it, and that is with the amplifier on. and even a wider bandwidth with it off....which is to be expected. the swr readings are 1.5.1 at either end of the curve with a large majority of frequencys in the center at 1.1.1. good enough for me. from what i have read online with those who have scanned the sirio p 5000 with an analizer at the antennas resonant frequency with X=0 and was just about dead on at 50 ohms.

at some point in the future i will obtain a mfj 259b and post my results as this is the only way to prove it. but untill that time extra consideration should be given by anyone looking into purchasing a wilson mag mount, especially if an amplifier is going to be used, at least untill the new company that has aquired the wilson brand has had a chance to fix these issues. untill that time it is a roll of the dice as to what you will get. i spoke to them reciently about these issues and they are aware of the problems, i was told it will take some time to address them.

and again, thank you to all who have made an effort to help me with this.

Last edited:
What changed?
The antenna.

What makes you think that the Amp tuning has changed?
T/S amps have fixed tuning, no variables.
I have been running the same DX 500 for years and nothing has changed.
I assume that you are re-calibraing the SWR meter when using the amp?
And you are testing with dead key only correct?
I would not be so quick to start dinking around inside the amp.

Jeff

you are correct. yes i do recalibrate each and every time i take a reading.

and yes it is with just a dead key.

i have no intentions of changing anything within the amplifier at this time. however, i say this with the understanding that it would be nice to have some sort of adjustable output tuning. as you see with some of the homebrew multi transistor amplifiers. i have built amplifiers with this configuration in the past and didn't pay any mind to having adjustable output tuning...i will in the future.

Last edited:
Well if i cant get it to work ill just throw the antenna away in the trash.

i wouldn't do that. it isn't your fault, you didn't know about the inherent problems with these antennas just as i didn't. you can use it on ten meters and run a second antenna for 11 meters. run them to a two position antenna switch....just make sure that you get one that leaves the unused portion ungrounded as both antennas share the same ground plane, if not you will end up with reflect issues. this is a better way to go as i was doing the same thing and got fed up with climbing up on the vehicle to change out the whips every time i wanted to change bands. hope that this helps, good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio