• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 1000

Oldtimer

May 20, 2008
Stuart Florida
Hi all.
My Wilson 1000 was bent from being too long and hitting branches.
When I straightened it it is becomming weak and may break off at some point.
Can I put a spring and a shorter length on the Wilson 1000 base and still keep low swr's?
As always thanks for your expertise.

I would replace it with a new whip - or risk losing valuable receive and transmit quality - for which the Wilson 1000 is known for.

To replace it with a new whip may cost you $15-20 including shipping - depending where you live and who you shop with. When I got my Wilson 1000, it was free/given to me - but didn't have a whip with it. So I spent the $20 to have the antenna work - as per spec from the mfg. Best mobile antenna I've ever owned. Better than my 102" steel or fibreglass whips that sway too much - making them a little inconsistent.

howdy hand

im a fan of the wilson 1000 great antenna i have a k40 also but seem to get better report's with the 1000 all i need is some condition's so i can start talking across the old pond

If you shorten the whip for whatever reason, but add that length back as a spring (the right kind, naturally), there should be no difference in that antenna's performance. Lots of "if's" in that, but still true.
Best bet is as already said, replace the whip.
- 'Doc

Wilson does make "short load" whip for the 1000's and 5000's. It basically is a shortened whip with an enclosed coil in the middle so you don't whack everything. I can't say for certain how much performance you loose by doing this, but that is one option for you.

I happen to have one of those that I've never used and don't even have an antenna for any longer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.