• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 5000 - 5 pill?

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
Will a Wilson 5000, roof-mounted, handle a 5-pill?

I'm running a 102 currently, but about to change my setup to accommodate a new toolbox. I have the 5000 mount already, just need to hook it back up. According to my Dosy, I have a dead key of around 150 watts and almost 700 watts of swing. I know the power claims of Wilson, but are they accurate? I believe it has RG-8X already installed...its not the factory coax, I had a little better coax installed when I bought it. I ran a 4-pill through it, but it was only doing about half of this 5-pill.

I might try to relocate the 102, but it will be right up against the cab when I do, and I'm not sure how the SWR is going to react at that point.

I might try to relocate the 102, but it will be right up against the cab when I do, and I'm not sure how the SWR is going to react at that point.

L-bracket off the side of the box?

I don't think it'll affect the SWR as much as you think.

As long as it's below 1:2.0, you'll be fine.

Will standard RG-8X handle that output? I want to remember that is in its power handling range for a short run? I've got RG-8 (8 not 8X) on the 102 currently, but the Wislon base only has RG-8X. I'd rather not pull the liner out to install RG-8 if its not needed.

The reason I need to change everything is that I bought another toolbox that has a fuel tank built in. Not enough meat to mount an L bracket to unfortunately. The front bed rail would be ideal, but I'm not sure how the toolbox lid will clear it when it opens...got to look into that.

I definitely would rather keep my 102".

I believe RG8X is rated for 2,000 watts although I wouldn't recommend trying to use it for that much on any permanent basis.

I also think the 5000 in the Wilson 5000 means it will handle 5000 watts although that may be just the antenna portion. The little coax that the magnet mount version comes with don't look like no 5000 watt coax to me.

You will be fine with the W 5000 mag mount and your 5 pill.

The wilson 5k will handle.it.just fine and you can always swap the coax but the 102 is a much better antenna.

Sent from my Droid

I was able to reinstall my 102 to the front bed rail. SWR didn't change...started out below 1.1 to 1 at the original location, and remain that in the new location. My only concern is the front rail is no where near as stiff as my mount was...hopefully that doesn't cause issues.

if you have already run a 4pill thru it then a (5pill?") wont change anything but the reading on your watt meter that nobody will notice
a 4pill is a 4pill
im guessing when you say 5 pill
you mean a 1pill section that drives a
a
a
wait for it

4pill section

ive ran more than that through my 5000 without a single problem. Also I thought the X coax rated at 1000 well I know the clear jacket gold stuff I have said 1000 watts.

if you have already run a 4pill thru it then a (5pill?") wont change anything but the reading on your watt meter that nobody will notice
a 4pill is a 4pill
im guessing when you say 5 pill
you mean a 1pill section that drives a
a
a
wait for it

4pill section

I'm fully aware of it...but I never had enough radio in front of the straight 4-pill to get it to full potential. I'm seeing twice the output from the 5-pill that I ever did from the 4-pill...2879s compared to 1446s.

4-pill best was 80 watts swinging to around 260 watts.
5-pill is running 150 watts and swinging to over 600 watts.

I guess my main concern was the durability of the 5000. The local shop has a couple cut apart that you can tell were filled with water.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.