• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 5000 being used INDOORS

Snake_Eyes

Oct 16, 2005
I am new to the forum and looking to install a Wilson 5000 magmount indoors. I have had good luck with these antennas. My question is, do you know of anyone using a mobile antenna INDOORS, and talking skip with it? The "5000" is a 5/8 wave antenna, and I'm thinking real hard about getting it. All comments are appreciated. *A dipole or traditional base antenna, will not work as I am on the bottom floor of a two story town home.*

Thanks.

Snake Eyes

Well it will work but you are going to need some kind of counter poise ,,or ground under the magnet or it will not tune! and operate correctly.I actually found that a large 50 gallon drum lid or a flat metal 4x4 sign works well if you can find one, It should work for you but you will need to adjust and see how it tunes out..It will work i know a few guys who have set them up on a big coffee cans and i could here them across town,But your not going to do much long distance work.

Mr. Coily,

How about long distance work with a counterpoise? I am working on one right now... Surely the Wilson 5000 even indoors (with a counterpoise) will allow me to talk a little skip. I know I can talk skip with the "5000" from my vehicle, but that may not mean much.

Snake Eyes

I dought you will be able to talk skip inside. A counterpoise will be need for any talking. Other wise tha swr will be way to high. You can talk skip on your car but when your in your car you don not have alot metal object to throw your signal every where. Also being that low will not help thing much either. You could talk localy without a problem but distance will not be very possible.

Snake_Eyes said:
Mr. Coily,

How about long distance work with a counterpoise? I am working on one right now... Surely the Wilson 5000 even indoors (with a counterpoise) will allow me to talk a little skip. I know I can talk skip with the "5000" from my vehicle, but that may not mean much.

Snake Eyes

Hi Snake eyes the counterpoise is needed to give your antenna something to react against for loading purposes,,The 5000 will actually talk well if it has enough "ground plane" or counterpoise to react with....Now if you could get that 5000 up on the roof you would do some decent Dxing but being down stairs and inside :( even with a nice flat Swr and good amount of output your dx and even local talking will be very low on s units getting outside all them walls and the roof,etc ,etc..73sss good luck if you can get it up higher you will see a great amount of gain or even running coax out to your car at night will be better than running inside on a magnet mount,look for something out side built with metal to stick it on the higher the better...73sss Dan.

Hello Mr. Coily,

It looks like I am going to try an Imax 2000 attached to some PVC piping, which will be cemented in a 5 gallon bucket!

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1376?page=3

So then, I have a question regarding the counterpoise I'm building. One end will go to my transceiver and the other will go to the antenna. Can I connect it to the base of the COAX instead, or is that NO good? My counterpoise is only 9 feet long, so I will have to find a suitable place to connect it to.

I may not need a counterpoise, but was really hoping for one in this application!

Since the Imax is fiberglass, I won't actually be able to connect my 9 foot counterpoise to it, or will I.

Many thanks, Mr. Coily.

Snake Eyes

Not a bad idea but I would go with some cheap mast pipe! it will work alot better than the PVC, You could put one 5 foot piece in the bucket and one on the antenna and you would hav that thing up 10 feet! And if you needed to move it you could just pull the two sections of pipe apart and your set.

You could alway just run your coax out your wondow to the ant. on the car. I have used setups like this for my base alot. Actually, I am using my base setup like that now, when I talk on the base. Just remember to unhook your coax from the base if you drive anywhere.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.